PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous inhabitants

Canuckgod420
04-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Well those 2 threads on the blue ring octo where......informative....lol

What kind of things are kept in our reefs that could cause a potentially serious problem?

Zoos and palys where once used as poison on spears and blow darts.

This is not to start any debates please....just curious

naesco
04-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Below is the email that I sent to the owner of big al' at asaul@bigalscanada.com

" I learned from canreef.com that you have for sale a blue ringed octopus at your store.

This marine animal is potentially deadly and by having it in your store you endanger the health and life of your employees, your customers, and an ultimate buyer, his/her family and friends.

I urge you to remove it and destroy it and take whatever steps are necessary to see that this irresponsible behaviour is not repeated.\

Kindly confirm that you have done so and I will let the members of canreef.com know.

Thank you\\

Wayne Ryan"

Canuckgod420
04-30-2009, 03:08 AM
i think you posted that in the wrong thread.

fishytime
04-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Lots of things can get ya. I started a thread a while back http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47571

naesco
04-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Yup, not a good day

m109r
04-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Wow, some people are just way to hardcore.....

Also what is up with closing that thread? I think a good argument makes for an exciting read.

naesco
04-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Wow, some people are just way to hardcore.....

Also what is up with closing that thread? I think a good argument makes for an exciting read.

Hardcore, maybe but consider this.
You are aware that octopus are escape artists and and climb out of the unbelievably smallest space. Your little brother his friend or whoever tries to put him back in the tank.!!!

IMO keeping this animal is the equivalent of keeping a loaded gun in your home and no one except the owner knows it loaded.

High tide
04-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Cone snails show up every now and again, they can be deadly. The marbled cone is one of the most toxic animals on earth.

naesco
04-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Cone snails show up every now and again, they can be deadly. The marbled cone is one of the most toxic animals on earth.

Good point, High tide!

How many reefers here can identify a cone snail?
How many reefers here would buy an unidentified snail because it is not as common as the usual ones offered

FitoPharmer
04-30-2009, 05:07 AM
i removed a cone snail from by buddies tank because i thought it was the cause of his dwindling snail numbers, and had no idea what it was at the time. makes me wonder how bad the poison really was for that one.

Drock169
04-30-2009, 06:42 AM
most stores will put down highly toxic stuff thats substituted when they see it to prevent harm to others, i.e. stone/rock fish, cone snails, blue rings...
As for the whole palytoxin thing, refer to literature to check which species of paly's are highly toxic, most species of zoanthids are harmless.

fishytime
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
As far as palys and zoas go, who can say for sure which ones contain the deadly toxin? Its better for the hobby to just give a broad spectrum warning about all zoathids.

my2rotties
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I was arranging stuff in my tank a couple of weeks ago... got the usual abrasions and such... ended up with swollen glands for days. It was so bad I could hardly swallow. Did not hurt like stepped throat or anything and did not feel yukky or anything. I suspected it might be something in the tank I had contact with but can't be too sure.

MMAX
05-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't know why that thread got closed. In my own opinion I don't see the big deal. If the tank is secure and everyone is edcuated properly there shouldn't be a problem. Look but don't touch.