PDA

View Full Version : Upper rim removal - 15g

Aleks
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Brainstorming is getting the better of me, and I would like to know if anyone has a direct experience with what I want to do.....I want to remove the upper black trim on my 15g tank.....I've read on the web of it being done with 10g setups with no problem, and some larger ones with good success. The glass on my 15g is 3/16" thick, and I'm not sure how much pressure would actually be on the glass at the top, unlike the bottom. I know my old 45 would bow out a bit with the rim in place, but we're talking about 1/3 the water. The glass on my 10g is ~ 1/2 the thickness of the 15g.....

Thoughts?

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
i had bought a 110glns used (in the past) it bowed a bit. run it for 6 years no problem.
and had it for a 40 glns had no problem at all.
for a small tank like yours with that thikness of glass i think no problem.

Mrfish55
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
On a tank that size removing the trim will not be an issue, you need to remove slowly and evenly, it is easy to crack the glass if you twist the frame. On the commercially produced tanks the top trim is mostly cosmetic as they do not finish the edges of the glass so watch for sharp edges as well.

Aleks
05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Just an update, removed the upper rim today because I was bored....Tank looks much much better. I actually only removed 75% of it, I left the back piece on for 2 reasons, 1 you can't see it because of the light and its on the back, and 2 because its protecting my cords and hoses from chafing against raw glass. My edges are not sharp at all, and there is no deflection whatsoever of the glass on front. The plastic on the rim had no structural worth at all, so anyone questioning its purpose can put it to rest. Its super pliable....
Crappy pics because I'm lazy...

Before:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2zqxuu1.jpg

After:
http://i40.tinypic.com/akyb6g.jpg

Rbacchiega
05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
looks good

JDigital
05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
If you want a nice chunk of live rock with some GSP, come on across the street... :wink:

Tank looks good man

banditpowdercoat
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I love rimless tanks, no matter what the size.

Looks great.

Aleks
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
If you want a nice chunk of live rock with some GSP, come on across the street... :wink:

Tank looks good man

The GSP was closed after all the knocking around pulling plastic off.....I got some in there tho! I met lorenzo the other day, told me about your crazy tank builds! have to check it out sometime

JDigital
05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
The GSP was closed after all the knocking around pulling plastic off.....I got some in there tho! I met lorenzo the other day, told me about your crazy tank builds! have to check it out sometime

I'm in the tank journal area.. 75G and building a 187G for an upgrade...

but you're free to come check stuff out anyways, considering you're so close I could throw a rock and hit your house... (not that I would..:lol: )