PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on the best way to catch a cleaner wrasse

my2rotties
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
As the title says...

I have a fish trap but broke the door the other day when I pulled the picasso trigger out, and rehomed him. I have tried the bottle trap and the cleaner will not go in there. Has anyone been able to catch one of these little rascals?

I need him out ASAP.

sharuq1
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
My curiosity compels me...why do you need it out?

my2rotties
04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a large cowfish in QT and he will be ready to come into the display in awhile. I cannot have a cleaner wrasse with a fish of this type. They have no scales and cannot be picked on and cleaned by the wrasse. I have time to get him out and he needs to come out so he does not stress out the cowfish with any picking.

My curiosity compels me...why do you need it out?

sharuq1
04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Well that sucks. Does he have a particular favorite food you could use to entice him into a trap with?

my2rotties
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
He pretty much eats ANYTHING... it does suck since he is the fattest and most healthy cleaner wrasse a person can ask for. He is getting pretty big for a cleaner as well. I also felt they did such a service to other fish... however, they are quite selfish and will pick and bother fish that do not want their attention. I have cleaner shrimp and the fish would much rather go to the cleaning station and get servicing rather then get picked by the cleaner wrasse.

I think I am going to buy a much smaller net with less drag. When the lights go out he swims around in the dark before retiring. Maybe by some chance I will nab him when he can't see the net coming... I hope.

Well that sucks. Does he have a particular favorite food you could use to entice him into a trap with?

sharuq1
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but I noticed in petland today some new red nets. The idea is that maybe the fish can't see the red. I wonder if that might work?

my2rotties
04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I borrowed a friends large red net and they can see them LOL! I had an empty tank in a matter of two seconds when I put it into the tank. I will be trying a small red one this week though. I think small might get this little guy. I think a red net in the dark is just what I need.

Just a shot in the dark, but I noticed in petland today some new red nets. The idea is that maybe the fish can't see the red. I wonder if that might work?

my2rotties
04-30-2009, 02:20 AM
I finally got him!!! It took over three hours of standing here and many repeated attempts, but he is out and Norman the cowfish is in. To cleaner wrasse is in QT until I see how Norman will do in the display. Hopefully he will be fine and I will find a new home for the wrasse. If Norman does not like the tank, I will sadly have to bring him back to Colby.

Hoping he will be fine with the powerheads and activity in the display. I have grown very fond of him while he has been in QT. Very personable fish to say the least.

sharuq1
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Yay! Glad you caught the little guy :D

my2rotties
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
It was a chore let me tell you... just watching Norman and making sure he is dealing with everything. He has been alone for quite awhile, so it is a change for him. He is also a slow swimmer (wow is he easy to catch), and I have to hand feed him so the other fish don't take his food. Right now he is chowing down on nori from the clip... it is promising.

He seems pretty smart for a fish. He is just very slow and is a dainty eater... I'm just trying to teach him a special spot to eat from. I am hoping he works out and will give him a few days to adapt. At least he hand feeds so I can get him food in case he does not go to his spot I made for his meals... My naso tang seems to be quite taken by him, so I am hoping he will be happy.

I have been waiting for a nice larger cowfish for over a year now... and really went out of my way to ensure he will work out.

Yay! Glad you caught the little guy :D

reef bound
04-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm excited for you. I saw a beautiful cowfish at a local LFS and he was so sweet and docile. He allowed himself to get pet, even. I don't think I'm quite up to that challenge yet. But good for you!

my2rotties
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes they are more specialized in many ways. I did not think of my powerheads or the cleaner wrasse. They are slow swimmers although they cut the water flow quite well. They need to be target fed, well at least right now he needs it. My guy eats from my hands but his frontal vision is to be desired... he nipped me by accident and it hurt.

I knew what I was getting myself into for the most part. I just did not think about cleaner wrasses or powerheads. I am glad I was able to put him into QT and deal with the issues at hand, no matter what a PITA they were.

He is showing no stress but with this type of fish it is hard to tell. They don't breath the same way and because their gills are on a hard body I can hardly see them moving. All I can do is watch him like a hawk, and try to figure out how to target feed him pellets. I know he will eat them from my fingers, but they are too small and the accidental bites do hurt.

I'm excited for you. I saw a beautiful cowfish at a local LFS and he was so sweet and docile. He allowed himself to get pet, even. I don't think I'm quite up to that challenge yet. But good for you!

sharuq1
05-02-2009, 05:42 AM
If he's quick enough to catch them as they fall you could just put the tips of your fingers in the water, releasing one or two at a time at the same place every day. Just turn off the PH's beforehand and he will learn to come to that spot to eat.