PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with this chiller?

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ch-pc000i/Pacific+Coast+Imports+1+13HP+Aquarium+Chiller+with +Dual-Stage+Contoller.html

I am going to grab this chiller for my new 34G Solana cube but thought I would ask first if anyone is using one on their nano and how its working out?

How do you have it set up to work with an AIO nano since there is no plumbing?

I am running a 250 halide over this tank and I just want it to be maintenance free with no fans (too noisy), so a chiller is a must.

Snaz
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I have not used this device but the plumbing is one pipe in and one pipe out. You will need an external or submersible pump and plumbing. I would use an Maxijet sumbersible to pull water out of last chamber, push it through the chiller and return it to the overflow chamber.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I have not used this device but the plumbing is one pipe in and one pipe out. You will need an external or submersible pump and plumbing. I would use an Maxijet sumbersible to pull water out of last chamber, push it through the chiller and return it to the overflow chamber.

Ok that is what I thought but wasn't sure.

Will this cause problems with the water level in the last chamber though?

Snaz
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok that is what I thought but wasn't sure.

Will this cause problems with the water level in the last chamber though?

Hmm good question. Probably. You will have to consider that if your pulling water out of a chamber it may run dry and returning water to another may cause it to overfill. Tricky. An ice probe might be a better solution.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/iceprobe.html

Again I'm sure all of these questions have been answered before, try nano-reef.com for chiller solutions.

christyf5
04-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Can you route the chiller through your sump return? I have mine hooked up to a mag 12. Water goes out of the sump, through the mag 12, through my 1/4hp PCI chiller and into the tank. Works like a charm and I don't have to have a separate pump for each :biggrin:

Snaz
04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Can you route the chiller through your sump return? I have mine hooked up to a mag 12. Water goes out of the sump, through the mag 12, through my 1/4hp PCI chiller and into the tank. Works like a charm and I don't have to have a separate pump for each :biggrin:

AIO - No external sump or plumbing.

christyf5
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Missed that part. But water out = water in right?

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Someone on reef central is using a similar chiller on their Solana and just replaced the 'return' pump with a MJ1200. The 1200 feeds the chiller through tubing over the back and then the output of the chiller goes back over the top and connects to the return plumbing of the Solana.

So basically they just put the chiller in line with the Solana's return.

My only concern with that is that this chiller says its recommended 80 GPH which is so low. A MJ1200 would be putting way too much flow through the chiller I think.

Might be better to just use a MJ400 that is only feeding the chiller and just leave the return pump as is.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Missed that part. But water out = water in right?

Yes but its just water to the chiller via a pump (Maxi Jet) and then from the chiller water goes back into the tank. All over the back type deal. Since it is an AIO and I don't want to start complicating things with a sump and everything.

The idea is that I am setting this tank up for the 6 months I am here until I move overseas and then my brother is going to rent the place for me and take care of the tank. I don't want him to have to deal with sumps and stuff.

This tank is going to be as maintenance free as possible. No sump, no skimmer (although it comes with one so may use it), chiller to keep temps in check, controller to deal with lights and whatnot, ATO with enough water to last 3 weeks until it needs to be filled again, 2 part dosing pumps. So just need to feed the 2 fish every few days really. Water changes once a week but I have a 30G garbage can behind the tank for fresh saltwater and I am going to work out an easy water change system using some maxijets. No buckets! All this stuff seems so much easier on a small scale. Jeez I was doing 30-40G water changes a week on my 200 and now that my total system volume.

I have some vacations planned this summer and don't want to stress about a tank! I am kind of tired of how much of my life aquariums have been taking up :lol: