PDA

View Full Version : custom acrylic tank

purplepolypeater
04-29-2009, 02:32 AM
i have this planned to be built soon at the local acrylic shop.tell me what you think

Denis
04-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Looks good, but I would be tempted to with 5' x 3' with same height.
And overflow in center is my preference, good if you plan on wavebox.
Let us know how it turns out.
Cheers.
i have this planned to be built soon at the local acrylic shop.tell me what you think

i have crabs
04-29-2009, 03:12 AM
im not big on dual overflows, and i have a center overflow on a 4' tank and hate when i need to do anything in there, i would go with just one overflow unless that wont work for some reason

The Codfather
04-29-2009, 04:27 AM
I think you will need a centre brace if you are going acrylic. Just my thought.
Bob

purplepolypeater
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
you think with 3/4" acrylic and a 3 inch eurobrace i would really need a center brace?
what are the benefits of having a center overflow versus the 2 herbies?

purplepolypeater
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
i was gonna go with 4x4 foot but would have to remove my closet door may still go 4x3.
would love larger unfortunately space in all directions is an issue.

untamed
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I would move the twin overflow boxes to the outside of the tank. Of course, I would like that idea because that is what I did!

Much of the tank design advice would be related to how it sits in the room and whether or not you have a fish room behind it. I'm curious about that hole in the centre of the back wall. Seems like a distracting place for an input or output.

untamed
04-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Also...if there are holes in the back wall of the tank inside the overflow boxes...then I don't see any need for the overflow boxes to be full length to the bottom of the tank. The main reason for an overflow box to go right to the tank bottom would be if the holes were drilled in the tank bottom.

Shortening the internal overflow boxes would create a sheltered area underneath that could house sponges or other critters that don't like light. Fish would also probably like to hang out under there.

Now...for the "out there" idea... If you created a full-to-the-bottom overflow box, with the holes in the back wall as already designed.... you could open one side of the overflow box at the bottom. This would create a sheltered area inside the overflow box. If you are lucky, this could be used as a fish trap. Fish go in..block the hole...net the fish from the top.

I do wish I had incorporated some sort of fish capture mechanism in my tank design. I would probably still have my white cheek Tang if I had done that.

purplepolypeater
04-30-2009, 12:59 AM
untamed you seem to have some neat ideas could you sketch up something showing what you are talking about maybe what would you do with the return pump if not in the middle.

brizzo
04-30-2009, 05:23 AM
untamed you seem to have some neat ideas could you sketch up something showing what you are talking about maybe what would you do with the return pump if not in the middle.

If your return line is coming from your sump, and not a closed loop, remember that the tank will drain down to that point, or even lower if you have loc-line (creates a siphon from your tank to sump). You can use a check valve to avoid that, but people say they can be faulty and require monthly inspection.

If you go with a center external overflow, your return can go in corner near the top, drill a small holes in the loc-line to prevent a siphon from starting. Works like a charm

You could also go up and over the back for a return, but more elbows means more head loss (marginal).

untamed
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM
You could also go up and over the back for a return, but more elbows means more head loss (marginal).

Yup....that's what I would do rather than have that hole in the center of the back wall.