PDA

View Full Version : Reflector material

ganowicki
06-28-2003, 09:19 PM
My Uncle owns a sheet metal shop and so I was going to get him to build me a light reflector for my tank. The question is What type of metal should I use?? Polished Aluminum? Polished Stainless Steel? white powder coated sheet metal (like the hydroponic shops use) or what about Mirror??

Thanks

Jack
06-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Steve was getting the sheets of Spectral Aluminum. I believe that's what it's called.

If you want I will go in on a sheet with you to save money. I would like to try the polished finish because I've just got the gloss white reflectors.

Anyone know if it makes a huge difference?

Btw Gord. I will be up next weekend to drop off your damsels and shrimp and to check out your tank. I'd like to look around for a macro algea eater while I'm down, tang?

StirCrazy
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
If he can get Spectral aluminum at a good cost this is by far the best option.. it has a higher reflectivity than a mirror, and will not corode.. any other type of sheet metal will require aditional maintanice to retain its shine and if you pollish it you might as well add polishing it to the monthly tank cleaning.

Steve

ganowicki
06-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Jack, I would be interested in going in with you to buy some Spectral Aluminum. Do you know how much it costs for a sheet?? what size sheet does it come in?

newreefy
06-30-2003, 11:22 PM
I would be interested as well to go in on a sheet. I need two reflectors and will be buying them anyway.

Van down by the river
06-30-2003, 11:52 PM
I have about half a dozen reflectors that will fit two 48" tubes. they are all like new. I'm in Vancouver but they are light so shipping would be cheap.
I was thinking $25 each

Jack
07-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Gord,

Steve was quoting 6.50$ sq/ft for the Spectral Aluminum. I think it only comes in 4'x8' sheets.. that is why he wanted a guaranteed list of buyers before he purchased it. I would want two MH reflectors and one for my refugium... probably one more for a future frag tank.

Are you looking for MH reflectors?

Newreefy,

Are you serious about this because we should get something together.

Steve,

Can you point us in a direction to find this stuff? I will do a search after this post. Thanks.

newreefy
07-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Jack,

Yes i am serious about the reflectors. I would be in no doubt if we can get the material.

Jack
07-01-2003, 04:47 AM
Newreefy,

Ok, great. Lets wait for Gord to chime in.

ganowicki
07-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Hey Jack
Sorry for the delay on the response. I was away for the weekend in Kamloops. I am going to opt out of buying. My uncle just made me a complete MH reflector out of Polished Stainless Steel.

Jack
07-02-2003, 01:46 AM
ok

StirCrazy
07-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I can get prebent reflectors here depending on requirments . let me know what type of bulb you are looking at and the length and I will see what I can come up with (it works out the same as buying the stuff and doing it your self except you get a profesional and good design.

Steve

Buccaneer
07-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Steve ... what would it run to get ( 2x ) 36"x15" reflectors to hold ( 2 ) MH and ( 2 ) VHO in each one

Cheers

StirCrazy
07-02-2003, 10:30 PM
hmm I would have to see what sizes I could put togeather.. are you putting 4 MH on your tank? also what kind of MH are you talking DE or SE bulbs.

Steve

Buccaneer
07-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Hehehe ... I " have " 4 MH on my tank :smile:

I have 2 canopies now that are DIY but could never find a good deal on spectral aluminium

The bulbs are 3 x 6500K sakis and 1 x 10K German ( not sure what DE or SE is ? )

Cheers

StirCrazy
07-02-2003, 10:50 PM
double ended or single ended but I know Iwasaki's are only SE. hehe..

basicly I have a guy that will sell me lighting reflectors at cost but they are for visualy lighting no fish tanks so I can mix and match to come up with something that will be close.

my reflector is about 20" wide and it is realy made up of 3 different reflectors.

Steve

Jack
07-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Steve,

Im just looking for reflectors like the PFO size. I will build a new canopy to fit around them so whatever you can come up with is great. I use dual 250w Iwasakis. I don't want one big reflector though, two singles would be best. Any chance of getting me a third for a prop tank?

How much time in advance do you need? I could come down this weekend. I'd like to pick up a foxface.

StirCrazy
07-03-2003, 12:56 AM
well if you want a PFO type you might be better off going with a sheet of spectral aluminum..

here is a pic of what I can get.. remember it took 3 to make this.. the two on the outside are the same.

http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/diy/lights/newlights/slides/end.html

last time I looked into it it was 6.50 to 7.00/sq^ft to get it to the island.. a sheet is 4 foot x 10 foot. and you had to order 1 sheet min. I remember some one in cowtown looking into it for about 1/2 the price but we couldent conferm if it was the same stuff.

basicly I can do a 48" reflector for a single or a double floressent for about 20.00ish and the center one is a bit more. (it is good for a couple MH but it is 10" wide) and this is providing I can still get the "Good guy" price.

Steve

Jack
07-03-2003, 01:11 AM
Yah, I like the PFO style better. 4x10' sheet is massive to buy though. You'd have to pre-sell a bunch.

Thanks for your input though.

StirCrazy
07-03-2003, 01:12 AM
PFO is good but far from the best. anyways whare in town are you going to get a fox face?

Steve

Jack
07-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Can't tell you or you will steal it :wink:

Sent you a PM.

Aquattro
07-03-2003, 02:34 AM
anyways whare in town are you going to get a fox face?

Steve

I know!! I know!!

StirCrazy
07-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Sent you a PM.

no you didn't... hmm

Steve

Jack
07-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Steve,

I swore I sent one. I guess I didn't. Seems like Brad knows anyways :lol:

Safari Pets has two in there. Christy and Brad? I think where in there the other day. There is a 25% off deal too. I'm probably not going to make the trip though.