PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew

puggirl
03-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi every one. We are setting up a new reef tank (newbies) 130 gal, 74 long 17 wide and 24 high. (still waiting for the tank to arrive..was promised two weeks ago) :mad: . Any way...we are using the ECOSYSTEM, UV. Our lights are 2x 250W MH and 2x atinic VHO. We can upgrade to 3 MH later when needed. I think we will get our LR from JL. the LFS is really overpriced and I don't think the quality is the same. JL have been really helpfull!
once we get set up and cycled,what clean up crew do you suggest adding. I am not sure if the 'packages' are the way to go. What should I stay away from? Any suggestions in re: to the Ecosystem.
Puggirl

AJ_77
03-30-2002, 01:23 PM
Hello, fellow Newbies! smile.gif

If you search some of the bigger boards (RC, SWF, etc) you'll find that there are diverse opinions on what types of critters to keep.

Some people really don't like crabs. ;)

Others think they're indispensable, and suggest certain species over others. They do play a role, but sometimes it seems nasty to watch them cull the weak and/or dying, or each other for the shells.

Lots of threads out there - happy reading!

AJ

reefburnaby
03-31-2002, 04:45 AM
Hi,

Personally, I would stay away from blue legged crabs -- they are both vegetarians and carnivours. Unfortunately, they tend to eat the other clean up crew members. So, I would keep away from those.

The regular ones - astreas, ceriths, turbos, margaretas snails...and the red legged crabs are pretty good. You can add some shrimp too.

- Victor/

Mak
03-31-2002, 06:13 AM
I can't keep any Scarlet Hermits in my tank because my Blue Legged Hermits kill them :mad: . Next tank will be slugs and a few Scarlets :cool: .

Jack
03-31-2002, 05:59 PM
:eek: Blue legged hermits seem like they aren't good to have at all. Well... good thing I ordered some and 20 are arriving tommorow, DOH! Lol, oh well...

Mak
03-31-2002, 10:10 PM
Jack, it seems that these blue legs do an awesome job scaveging in my tank. They do go on the corals quite often but they are just cleaning them I'm almost positive that they have never eaten any part or piece of any coral ;) . I've seen them eat two dying snails when I first set up my tank so I wouldn't worry to much. Maybe stay away from the Scarlets ($3.50 each for blue legged food is a little pricey) or at least test 1 or 2 in there for a couple weeks( mine lasted maybe a week tops I put in 4)

ruck'n'reefer
03-31-2002, 10:43 PM
I got rid of all my hermits!!! The Blue legs especially were eating all my snail babies (and who knows what else)!!!! Now that they are gone heaps of snails.
Not worth it in my opinion.

Jack
03-31-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, well mixed opinions from everyone. I'm beyond the point of no return though. I kinda want some hermits though, I like diversity. I don't mind if they eat some things now and then. We are keeping a miniture ecosystem, it's all part of the life cycle.