PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty in a Biocube *SOLD* Please CLOSE

edikpok
04-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi,

How safe would it be to add a Coral Beauty to a 29g Biocube with corals? Most of my corals are soft corals...

Thanks!

fishytime
04-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Adding any angel to any reef can be a roll of the dice. 50% of peeps will say "mine never ate anything" and the other 50% will say they ate ___ " Ive had a flame and a bi-color. Flame has been good. I thought the bicolor was eating my acans so I re-homed him and since then realized it was my regal tang:redface:

JDigital
04-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Adding any angel to any reef can be a roll of the dice. 50% of peeps will say "mine never ate anything" and the other 50% will say they ate ___ " Ive had a flame and a bi-color. Flame has been good. I thought the bicolor was eating my acans so I re-homed him and since then realized it was my regal tang:redface:

Maybe it was both at the time.. or the Bi-color trained your regal before he was re-homed... :mrgreen:

jsmth321
04-27-2009, 03:34 AM
I had a coral beauty in the past with no issues and now I have a lemon peel and also so far no issues, but there is always that risk that they will nip at things they are not supposed to nip at.

edikpok
04-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I think that I willl ot add a corlabeauty to my biocube :-) too much of a risk putting an angelfish in a small tank with corals...

edikpok
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
So I am tempted again to add a coral beauty to my little system. Are coral beauties more known to union on sps, lps, softies or anything?

fishoholic
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
So I am tempted again to add a coral beauty to my little system. Are coral beauties more known to union on sps, lps, softies or anything?

As people already told you it's a 50/50 chance with any angel, doesn't matter what type. You may never have a problem with it nipping corals or it might eat them soon after you get it. It's a risk you have to be willing to take if you want to keep one.

ScubaSteve
06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
In my opinion, a coral beauty is probably the least likely to go all NOM-NOM-NOM on your corals. I had one in the past with no problems and am looking to get another for my new tank. If you want a probability, I'd guess like 85.92% reef-safe (how do ya like that exactness? :razz:).

I'd put a Potter's Angel a little bit less safe than the coral beauty. Flame angels, I'd put at like 70% from the number of people that I talk to too.

From what I've seen and heard, they are less likely to nip if they are not crowded, under fed or allowed to establish their rank as "King of the tank". Nipping at corals though is a natural behavior and as much as you may try to prevent it they can always revert to it for no reason at all. I've talked to a number of people who've had CB's and Flames for years and years and one day they just start picking at corals for no reason at all.

Personally, I'd say go for it and just keep an eye on it. If it's a picker, back to the LFS it goes. I'd put money on it being totally fine in your tank.

edikpok
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I really liked your precision, however i was a little disappointed with the 70 percent. I think you meant 71.03 +-0.005 hehehe

I think at this point I am gonna go for it as there is no chance she will displace my clownfish from being the queen! I've read that basically they look for algae but when they accidently try corals, they love it and start nipping..

edikpok
06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I really liked your precision, however i was a little disappointed with the 70 percent. I think you meant 71.03 +-0.005 hehehe

I think at this point I am gonna go for it as there is no chance she will displace my clownfish from being the queen! I've read that basically they look for algae but when they accidently try corals, they love it and start nipping..