PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium equipment and copper

fishoholic
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I know you shouldn't use an aquarium that has had a copper treatment done in it other then for future QT treatments. However I was wondering about the rest of the equipment. I have my koralia power heads running in the copper treated tank, if I clean them really well with vinegar after treatment is done, will it be ok/safe to use them again in the display tanks? Anyone know?

i have crabs
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
its recomended not to reuse them but if cleaned super good i wouldnt worry to much

Ryan
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Why not run them in some fresh water for a few days changing 100% of the water twice a day. Shouldnt take more than a week to get all the copper out.

Zoaelite
04-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Why not run them in some fresh water for a few days changing 100% of the water twice a day. Shouldnt take more than a week to get all the copper out.
This should work, if you can run media to detoxify heavy metals or if you can get your hands on some Prime (by Seachem) you can make sure any floating Copper ions are removed.
Levi

Lance
04-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Laurie, Cupramine is less toxic and safer than most other copper treatments and can be removed with carbon or Cuprisorb. I know all this because I'm reading the bottle in front of me right now. :mrgreen:

fishoholic
04-27-2009, 01:36 AM
Laurie, Cupramine is less toxic and safer than most other copper treatments and can be removed with carbon or Cuprisorb. I know all this because I'm reading the bottle in front of me right now. :mrgreen:

What do you mean I have to read the bottle to know these things, gez you ask to much :lol:

Thanks for the info everyone.

Trigger Man
04-27-2009, 03:17 AM

I agree, I used to use Cupramine back when I was keeping a FOWLR tank whenever a new arrival got ick. After copper treatments I would then use carbon to get the copper out and test the water with a good test kit. Other then that I didn't do anything else to the tank, rocks or equipment. I then began adding corals, and have not had any ill effects, with my tank now containing SPS, LPS, rics, zoas, etc.
Hope this helps.

fishoholic
04-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I agree, I used to use Cupramine back when I was keeping a FOWLR tank whenever a new arrival got ick. After copper treatments I would then use carbon to get the copper out and test the water with a good test kit. Other then that I didn't do anything else to the tank, rocks or equipment. I then began adding corals, and have not had any ill effects, with my tank now containing SPS, LPS, rics, zoas, etc.
Hope this helps.

Good to know, Thanks.