PDA

View Full Version : Bird wrasse vs other wrasses jumping habits

fishoholic
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Just wondering, I was reading (on the internet) about bird wrasses and it seems that they are more likely then other wrasses to jump out of an open tank. Anyone have any experience/knowledge as to this being true or not?

my2rotties
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe that is why they are called bird wrasses:mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

fishoholic
04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Maybe that is why they are called bird wrasses:mrgreen:

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Groan :rolleyes: But I admit, I did laugh a little :biggrin:

justinl
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
shrug. as a general rule of thumb though, I treat all wrasses the same in terms of jumping. imo the whole "this species is 5% less likely to jump" is a bunch of crap. They all jump.

corpusse
04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
While I agree they all jump, I'd say deep water wrasses are more likely to jump. This usually means the expensive fairies. If you're keeping any kind of wrasse your tank really should be 100% covered.

fishoholic
04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I have a red corris, checkerboard, lunare, and cleaner wrasse. I've had them for awhile now and I admit that I forgot how much wrasses were prone to jumping until I read up about bird wrasses.

My wrasses are in QT right now with a fully covered top since it's a short QT tank, however my display tanks are 3 feet high, I wonder if that makes a difference as to why mine haven't jumped yet, or if I've just been lucky so far.

Anyways when I was reading up about wrasses the ones I have didn't come with many jumping warnings whereas every single website I read warned about bird wrasses jumping. Just curious as to why.

Not sure if I'll ever get one or not as I also read they will eat small fish (not sure how small of fish, the web sites just said small) but I was curious about them.

Once the QT period is over for my fish I will be limited as to what type of fish I will be able to keep with my King angel (assuming she lives), she's somewhat mean to others, however she seems to leave the wrasses alone.

Anyone on here ever had or has a bird wrasse?

bv_reefer
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I had a bluebelly fairy wrasse and every 3rd day or so i'd find him in the overflow box, along with going carpet surfing 5+ times, like justin said all wrasse have a high probability to jump being very active fish. I have 34 out of 36 inches covered with eggcrate and he still managed to fly out frequently...what can ya do