PDA

View Full Version : well we have a leak

bullit67
04-26-2009, 05:11 AM
I discovered a leak on my 265 today :( looks like it is coming from the front corner seam at this point it is only a drip but it is leaking. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance
04-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Uh Oh!

paddyob
04-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Uh Oh!

I had a leak last summer. went to buy silicon and was told i had to drain and dry tank. strip silicon from leaky area and re-apply silicon. the told me silicon will not seal if you just try patch it. needless to say. i now only run one tank and tossed my leaky one. had to merge tanks. sell coral. a nightmare. i hope it works out. i figured fixing the tank was a headache i dont need.since i already had my livestock out i said goodbye. i cry for You.

Norstar
04-26-2009, 02:29 PM
a 265 - ouch!! :sad:

lastlight
04-26-2009, 02:51 PM
We all want to pretend it ain't so. Best of luck man.

Piscez
04-26-2009, 03:00 PM
My 72 bow leaked approx 6 weeks ago, I drained, dryed, and "patched" no probs so far. I couldn't pinpoint the leak so I resealed the whole bottom but I didn't remove any of the old silicone, so far so good. Lost a cleaner shrimp in the process, best of luck to you.

bullit67
04-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the best wishes every one. The wife and I are going to see Nikki and Dan over at Aquatic Addictions to day so we can sort out our options I am going to try and pick up a tube of orca glue to band aid it for now and we will have to order a new tank. I wont take the chance with a tank of this size if it was to have a blow out it could kill some one (I mean one of our cats) never mind the mess it would make.

Oh and by the way Nikki and Dan over at Aquatic Addiction have been great they kept in touch with us last night.They even offered to come over and help us shut the system down last night and house our live stock at the store.

bullit67
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh yah forgot to mention the sister tank to this one is sitting in Aquatic Addictions with a water leak problem. Both of the tanks were brought in at the same time my guess is the manufacturer was having a problem with there seams at the time.

Piscez
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Dan & Nikki are certainly good people they genuinely care, I hope their business does well

fishoholic
04-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the best wishes every one. The wife and I are going to see Nikki and Dan over at Aquatic Addictions to day so we can sort out our options I am going to try and pick up a tube of orca glue to band aid it for now and we will have to order a new tank. I wont take the chance with a tank of this size if it was to have a blow out it could kill some one (I mean one of our cats) never mind the mess it would make.

Oh and by the way Nikki and Dan over at Aquatic Addiction have been great they kept in touch with us last night.They even offered to come over and help us shut the system down last night and house our live stock at the store.

Good to know there are good people there to help you out. Best of luck with everything.

zeddy
04-27-2009, 12:47 AM
i completly re sealed my 100gal last year it took 2 days but it was easy and 1 year later its still holding water

bullit67
04-27-2009, 02:10 AM
I cant trust resealing a 265 WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to much pressure on the seams. We spent some time with Nikki and Dan to day and figured out our options So with any luck we should have a new 300 Gallon reef ready here by next week end. Then the fun starts. I wont have a closed loop any more as we dont want to drill the tank as it will void the warranty. We realy dont want to chance waiting 3-6 weeks for a custom build so we decided our best route was a factory built Marineland 300 Gal 6 feet by 3 feet Just have to hope that the leak dosent get any worse in the mean time.

Tom R
04-27-2009, 02:12 AM
That is a great way to fix a leak.

Tom R

Haloreef
04-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey Doug/Dar. sorry to hear about the leak, that sucks. It's good to see you are handling this the proper way, last year when my 72 bow let go I took it as a sign to go bigger, now I have the 225 and the 90 going! Nobody likes a quitter!
Any way if you need some one to help move me and my suction cups are at your disposal. Any eve. durring the week or Sunday. I could prob. house some of your live stock for a while if you need it!
Best of luck,
Keith.

niloc16
04-27-2009, 04:21 AM
hey doug/dar it was good to see you guys again today. wish it was better circumstances but hey now next weekend it makes a good excuse to come over for 'the famous burgers'. i'm there when you need me for the move. the new tank is gonna kick some serious ASS! love the dimensions. this is a blessing in disguise. now if i could just convert you to SPS, the tank would be perfect! lol.