PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix 14k washed out look

bigblack
04-26-2009, 02:07 AM
so i just bought a new phoenix 14k de bulb to replace my old bulb, i've heard so many great things about this bulb but i gotta say i'm not too sure what all the fuss is all about. Fired up for about 12 hours now and this bulb looks way too washed out, its hard to explain but almost monchromatic wash of eerie blue, there is no richness or depth/punch to the color. Anybody else notice this?

VFX
04-26-2009, 02:50 AM
I fitted some new 150w Phoenix 14k HQI's about a month ago & had the same thing.

My tank looked like a monochromatic wash of blue.

For me this lasted about 2 weeks & now it look's slightly bluer than my previous 14k bulbs.

The only thing I don't like is that they seem to have slightly less PAR than my old Current USA ones.

Give it a few weeks to see if they improve.

bigblack
04-26-2009, 02:55 AM
thanks for the response vfx, did the washed out look go away completely?

VFX
04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
I fitted them at the end of March I think & as of today the washed out look has gone & my corals are 'popping' again.

Because they're more blue than my last bulbs, my red's & oranges don't quite pop like they used to, but the greens & blues look great.

bigblack
04-26-2009, 03:14 AM
I wonder what makes the color so washed out in the beginning maybe its too much blue.

Denis
04-26-2009, 03:20 AM
If you want a ballanced look try Giesmann "Coral" bulbs, I love them.

Tom R
04-26-2009, 03:43 AM
I have used both the Giesmann 14500 and the
Pheonix 14000. I like the colour of the Phoenix bulb however i agree my corals showed better colour under the Giesmann. There is however a major price difference between the two.

The Giesmann's cost $119.25 at J&L where as the Phoenix cost $74.95 at Oceanic Corals.

Tom R

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-26-2009, 03:52 AM
so i just bought a new phoenix 14k de bulb to replace my old bulb, i've heard so many great things about this bulb but i gotta say i'm not too sure what all the fuss is all about. Fired up for about 12 hours now and this bulb looks way too washed out, its hard to explain but almost monchromatic wash of eerie blue, there is no richness or depth/punch to the color. Anybody else notice this?

Give the bulbs a couple weeks, they will burn in and settle into a nice bright blue color. The beauty of these bulbs is that they burn into the 14k spectrum but still put out an impressive amount of Par.