PDA

View Full Version : new to Victoria and to Saltwater

Brighteyes_13
06-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone, im glad i found a local place to post. My husband and i just moved to Victoria from Vancouver an know very few reefkeepers out here.

I read that you do tours sometimes? going to look at each others tanks ect... how can i get involved witht that?

Our tank is only about 2 months old so its still young, but nonetheless always exciting and interesting. my husband is a DIY kinda guy and built our whole setup, id love to be able to show it to some ppl, get some honest critique(since we have no camera capable of creating postable pics)

Aquattro
06-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Most of us in Vic can arrange a private viewing so you can come around and see different tanks. Arranging a day to see all the tanks is not likely during the summer as most people are a bit busy.
However, if you PM people individually, I'm sure you can get to see a bunch of tanks. Adam in particular has a 50g tank that might give you some ideas. We also have different lighting setups that will give you an idea of what lights you might want.

Brighteyes_13
06-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks Reef Raf :biggrin:

Jack
06-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the board.

I'm up Island but there are quite a few Victoria reef keepers. They all have very nice tanks! :mrgreen:

christyf5
06-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the board! Its good to see another Islander on here :biggrin:

Christy :)

One_Divided
06-28-2003, 12:43 AM
welcome.. you can come by and see my tank any time...

-Adam

Brighteyes_13
06-28-2003, 06:28 AM
thank you all for such a warm welcome :biggrin:

ldzielak
07-05-2003, 01:57 AM
If you make it up this far let me know ahead of time and we can set something up, there only 2 of us in town that I would recomend.

Lee

StirCrazy
07-05-2003, 03:43 AM
Hmm. I seam to have missed this post untill now.. let me say welcome and sorry for not welcoming you sooner. Always good to have more Victorians on here.

Steve

Brighteyes_13
07-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for tHe welcome Steve

BTW, what is Island Aquatics?? Are they here in Victoria??

StirCrazy
07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Island aquatics is a maby future thing.. havent decided yet. it will be on the island if it goes.

Steve

Brighteyes_13
07-05-2003, 05:43 PM
I keep telling my husband that we should open a Fish store around here to heat up some solid competition.... its a dream of mine.

StirCrazy
07-05-2003, 05:45 PM
a fish store on the island is a money losing venture.. you have to get away from fish and go with other stuff here i think.

Steve

Brighteyes_13
07-05-2003, 05:46 PM
yeah, thats pretty much the response he gives me every time too...

ah well its still a dream...

mutabaruka
09-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Although I have posted on canreef before, I have just moved to Nanaimo. I am finding it a little bleak ....... heck :rolleyes: let's say it ...... really bleak here with regards to marine stores. Is it any better in Victoria? How many reefers are there here on the island? I have seen a few posts. I wouldn't mind meeting some of ya'll sometime.

Brian

mutabaruka
09-15-2003, 06:46 AM
couldn't let Emily think we on the coast are not a chatty bunch :lol:

Aquattro
09-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Lots of on the Island. More in Vic, but Nanaimo is home to few also. Christy is there, as well as Gord. Jack is just up the road in Comox.

christyf5
09-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey Brian! ya Nanaimo is kinda slim pickings. There is a store called My Fish Tank at the corner of comox and the highway (sort of in the back forty) that has some salt stuff. Dry goods are about 2x the price of MO from J&L though but its fun to look when you've got to get a fix. :biggrin:

Christy :)

EmilyB
09-16-2003, 12:44 AM
couldn't let Emily think we on the coast are not a chatty bunch :lol:

:lol:

TNTCanada
02-01-2004, 01:38 AM
It's nice to see some chat happening on the Island. Go Island :mrgreen:

JohnM99
03-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi
I am in Victoria and just joined CanReef. I have been setting up a 90 g reef since last summer - it is finally starting to look like something.

Is there a reef club here? I think the answer is no, but that would be interesting.

Arty Morty
06-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Don't mean to change the subject, but....
Have any of you islanders ever tried putting any of the creatures in your ocean into your systems? I would imagine they would just die right?
I just remember that there were some really neat things there, but then again that was 14 years ago, I was much younger and more impressionable :mrgreen: Probably a law too huh?
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W201 HISTORY (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W201)

Jaws
06-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the board. One more person in Victoria means one more person to share advice with. I'm very new to the hobby too so i'll be interested in hearing about your progress.

Scavenger
06-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Don't mean to change the subject, but....
Have any of you islanders ever tried putting any of the creatures in your ocean into your systems? I would imagine they would just die right?
I just remember that there were some really neat things there, but then again that was 14 years ago, I was much younger and more impressionable :mrgreen: Probably a law too huh?

Hi I'm and islander too in Nanaimo and I am thinking about setting up a temperate tidal pool in a smaller tank I have kicking around. So far I've written the DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) to enquire about the legality of collecting for aquarium purposes and have recieved the "your request has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities" response. This was a couple of weeks ago but I'll keep ya posted.

I go out fishing at least 2-3 times a week here and see some really neat looking auqatic life each time. Though if set up I think I'd prefer to make a tidal pool tank. I'm kicking around some plumbing ideas to simulate tide ebb and flow.

If anyone is in my area and wants to see how my reef looks. Let me know, we could maybe even arrange a frag swap. I keep mostly softies and LPS.