PDA

View Full Version : What coral for my clowns?

Dresden
06-27-2003, 08:52 PM
I never wanted an anenomie(sp?) cause I'm not ready for one. But learning about clowns hosting in corals has made my day. Pair of Clarkii clowns 3" at most. I have read they damage some corals, some more than others(torch, frogspawn), so i'm looking for suggestions.

Toadstool and fuzzy Mushrooms seem to the best choice
Colts and frogspawn 2nd
torch and similar are last.

Learning towards the toadstool right now, room for them in the cup.

Aquattro
06-27-2003, 09:09 PM
I had a clown once and it hosted in a largish hammer. Over time, the hammer started closing more and eventually became visually irritated by te clown. I would probably go with a large mushroom colony or toadstool if I ever got another evil clown (not!!)

Jason McK
06-27-2003, 10:01 PM
I currently have two Percs in my Frogspawn. I am trying to get them to leave it but so far the FS doesn't seem to mind. I have a rather small BTA but it has found a home just a bit above the sand bed, and the Clowns are top of the reef type fish so they haven't ventured down to see the BTA.

I may try to move the BTA but it has only been in the tank for two weeks and I don't want to "Light Shock" it

J

sumpfinfishe
06-27-2003, 10:10 PM
My two pink skunks both have seperate host. The female shacks up in between the branches of my candycane coral. The male sleeps in a large feather duster. Both clowns have had these same host for over two years now, with no ill effects to either the coral, worm, or the fish.

:mrgreen: Cheers, Rich

Dresden
06-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanx for the comments. I still new to corals so i want to keep it with easy stuff. The less irritated the coral is by a host the better.

kari
06-28-2003, 02:35 AM
My 3" perc loved his Derasa Clam. The clam wasn't bothered by the perc slapping around but I don't recommend looking for a clam as a host.

Kari

zulu_principle
06-28-2003, 04:05 AM
I have two ocellaris that are hosting in waving hand polyps, Anthelia sp.

They have been there for over a year with no ill effects to the corals.

Not sure on the results of an introduction of the polyps after the fish ??

Wendell

Dorkel Marine 1
06-28-2003, 06:47 AM
dido on the anthelia. Took awhile but after about 3 wks he or she now hides in and stays close by the anthelia. Oh, its a percula clown wild caught.

George

Dresden
06-28-2003, 09:57 AM
added some Xenia last week, also Pearl Bubble sounds hardy

Large Polyped Stony Coral (LPS)

Does best under a low-medium flow area placed away from other corals to avoid stinging from sweeper tentacles.

A lower light LPS coral that will do well under PC/VHO Lighting. If it is placed in an area with too much flow expansion will not occur.

Bubble corals are a great beginner LPS coral and can usually tolerate a wide range of water conditions. Occasional target feeding will help keep them healthy.

Pearl Bubbles sport a smaller polyp (bubble) size then their cousins, and tend to fair better in higher flow areas because of this.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/corals-hard/bubble-pearl.jpg

Still leaning towards a toadstool, Peal bubble looks like it could be easily irritated. What anthelia types do u have?

AJ_77
06-30-2003, 04:47 AM
Once I posted about my ocellaris getting scratched up from hosting in a Hammer coral - even when the polyps retracted (hard skeleton).

I would get something softer, maybe a large Sarcophyton. "eposer" has shown pics of his in a large patch of green hairy shrooms. They seem to love it. :biggrin: