PDA

View Full Version : Chitons all curled up

Norstar
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I purchased a couple Chitons a couple of weeks ago. They seemed fine in the store. I put them in my aquarium after a lengthy acclimation period. They must not have been happy with the move as the have both curled up into a ball and have not expanded or moved since.

Water parameters seem to be normal. Water changes done weekly. My other Chiton in my other tank is perfectly happy.

Any suggestions??

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-25-2009, 05:37 PM
I purchased a couple Chitons a couple of weeks ago. They seemed fine in the store. I put them in my aquarium after a lengthy acclimation period. They must not have been happy with the move as the have both curled up into a ball and have not expanded or moved since.

Water parameters seem to be normal. Water changes done weekly. My other Chiton in my other tank is perfectly happy.

Any suggestions??

Just give them some time, Chitons are very hardy.

justinl
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
this is a natural defense posture for chitons but it probably shouldn't last for weeks on end... pick them up gently and give em a sniff. if they stink they're dead, if not put them back. Do snails live in your tank okay? if they do then I would imagine most chitons should fare just as well as any snail. In which case, just give them more time i guess, and give the sniff test every few days.

Norstar
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes, the snails are doing well. I will try and see if they react to my picking them up. I will leave them in there if they react

justinl
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
i would be surprised if they react. when they're balled up, it's their fetal position; they're not going to squirm, if that's what you're expecting.

Norstar
04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Don't know what to expect to be honest. Just picked him up. I couldn't pry him open if I wanted too! :biggrin:

I'll give it some more time