PDA

View Full Version : Emily B & Doug - Euroreef CS6-2 rated for 125 Gallons

wayner
06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Guys:

I'm looking at purchasing one of these for a 120 gallon, I wanted to go up to the CS8-1 which is 30", but it won't fit under my stand, the CS6-2 is 24 ".

Since you guys have/had these skimmers, do you think the CS6-2 would be sufficient for a 120, do ou know if they make external models?

Thank You

Doug
06-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi Wayne,
My old F1, which I thnk would now be a CS6-2, but driven with a 5000. It runs on a 120g and seems to be keeping up fine. Just I would say though.

I would go to the 8in. model if it was me. On the Euroreef home page, the CS8-2 is listed as 24in. tall.

If you do use the CS6, then I would get it with the Sedra 5000 pump, instead of the 3500.

www.euro-reef.com/skimmers

EmilyB
06-27-2003, 07:39 PM
I agree with Doug. If you can't go tall, go wide. That said my CS6-3 is tall and I think actually outperforms my CS8-1 tho.

If you notice in those pics on that site, the shorter skimmer seems to be only half full of bubbles, while the tall one is just filled ! That's what my CS8-1 now is like, and I can't really lower the sump any more. I am thinking about setting it up on something. Doug, do you think that would work?

Doug
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Deb, If you have the head room, I think it would work fine. I did that once with my F1, but the sump was beside the tank and like you, I wanted more water in the sump. The stand will have to be large enough to support the Sedra also.

EmilyB
06-28-2003, 01:11 AM
I do have enough head room to easily raise it 2-3". Any suggestions of what to put it on, that will be friendly in my sump ?

Doug
06-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Not sure Deb. What about a shallow tupperware type container. We have some pretty big ones. I would just make lots of holes for water flow through it. As long as they are tank safe.

The best would to make some kind of glass or acylic stand. It would be pretty easy.

If I remember correct, I also needed a couple inches. I used 2in. pvc pipe lengths under an eggcrate top. You could silicone them on or just tie wrap them. Sort of like making a plenum set-up. That works great, and has good flow through it. Cheap & easy to make and sturdy as long as enough pipe is used. If you need 3in. they make 3in. white pvc also. That would give you 3 1/4 with the eggcrate.

Troy F
06-28-2003, 04:31 PM
There are little rubbermaid stools that you could trim the legs off to a desired height.