PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

Abbyreefer
04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Its been a while since I've started a tank but the other day I finally finished the stand for my 65 gal tank and filled it with RO/DI water WOO HOO !!! Anyways I then added the salt (instant ocean) put in 3 koralia power heads and a heater and let it all mix. Well 3 days later and the salt water is still cloudy, not super cloudy that you cant see anything but cloudy enough that its very noticable. I cant reemmber when I had my previous 95 gal tank if I had the same thing.. Is that normal ? How long does it take to go away ?
Also I found out my sump was leaking after I started to see the puddle on the floor. So after a few choice words and some frantic syphoning to get the sump empty and out I notice on one side it was a very slow small lead but after a few days is when I got the puddle. Anyways I've taken the sump out and used WELDON PVC clear around all of the seams just to be sure ( 2 coats so far ) but was wondering how is that going to be for the fish in the tank (much later on) will it leak any toxic chemicals or am I safe ?

Thanks in advance with any advice.

Aquattro
04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
cloudiness is fine, once you add your rock it will go away (introduction of bacteria). The glue should be fine as well, once it's cured. Although I'm not sure PVC glue will seal glass or acrylic, and I'm pretty sure your sump isn't PVC :)

Abbyreefer
04-24-2009, 05:13 PM
lol.. no the sump isnt pvc I used it for my PVC piping its actually WELDON 765 or something like that. The rep at the plumbing store said it could also be used for acrylic. Before the sump goes underneath I was going to put it in the bathtub and fill it up for a few days to make sure its good I'll probably even do 1 more coat although I was pretty generous with my application for the 1st 2 coats :) I was more concerned about any toxins going back into the tank because it is on the inside of the sump where I applied it. Also by curing do you just mean drying ?

Aquatic Addictions
04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
What you want to use for a more sure seal with acrylic would be WELD-ON 3 .

Once dried, the product should be useable in a few hours to a day (to be safe).

Dan

my2rotties
04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
If there is sand on the bottom that may be the culprit as well.

Abbyreefer
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
No sand in the tank yet, just water and salt with powerheads and heater.

Abbyreefer
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok just found out its weldon 795 that I have heres a link of the product http://www.pep-plastic.com/manufacturers/ipscorp/wo_html/specialty.html

brizzo
04-24-2009, 06:52 PM
lol.. no the sump isnt pvc I used it for my PVC piping its actually WELDON 795 or something like that. The rep at the plumbing store said it could also be used for acrylic. Before the sump goes underneath I was going to put it in the bathtub and fill it up for a few days to make sure its good I'll probably even do 1 more coat although I was pretty generous with my application for the 1st 2 coats :) I was more concerned about any toxins going back into the tank because it is on the inside of the sump where I applied it. Also by curing do you just mean drying ?

Hmmm, I would wait a couple days before putting water back in your sump after using the Weldon 795 on acrylic. Depending on what exactly is in the 765, it could actually cause a chemical reaction with the acrylic causing "crazing"... You may even want to leave it outside in some sunlight to speed up the process if it is going to happen.

Crazing looks like spider web cracking of the acrylic, cause by stress, heat, or chemical solvents.

Ideally if the seam was leaking, and there wasn't a gap you can use Weldon 3 like Dan suggested; which would wick into the seam via capillary action. Should be applied from the inside. If there was a gap or chip missing, using Weldon 16 which is heavy bodied and thick, and you can use it similar to how you fillet fill a joint with silicone.

Abbyreefer
04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone and thank you Dan for offering to help wit the Weldon 3. My only other concern is the cloudiness of the salt water after 3 days.

Aquattro
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
My only other concern is the cloudiness of the salt water after 3 days.

Normal