PDA

View Full Version : Thawed out frozen food

Oxymoron
04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Left frozen food out overnight and it thawed out. Instinct tells me this is garbage. But is it ok to refreeze and feed to fish or should i trust my instinct.
It was little cubes of mysis by the way.
Thanks

brizzo
04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Left frozen food out overnight and it thawed out. Instinct tells me this is garbage. But is it ok to refreeze and feed to fish or should i trust my instinct.
It was little cubes of mysis by the way.
Thanks

Give it a sniff and trust your instincts :wink:

Pan
04-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't think fish are bothered as much as we would be....

hillegom
04-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I have done that and refroze the mysis. Most of the fish are ok with it. Refreezing made the mysis more soft, ie, when thawed again to feed, the individual pieces are not as firm as before.

justinl
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't think fish are bothered as much as we would be....

wat makes you say that?

OP, your instinct was right. garbage. Marine feed goes rancid very fast at room temperature. In fact, some protein in dead marine crustaceans are actually autolytic upon death which would vastly speed up the process. If you aren't using the food within 3 hours or less, it will have gone rancid; fish flesh would last longer but I wouldn't use it after 5 hours. Never refreeze thawed food. This is according to a frozen food analysis done for the Vancouver Aquarium a while back.

fishoholic
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
wat makes you say that?

OP, your instinct was right. garbage. Marine feed goes rancid very fast at room temperature. In fact, some protein in dead marine crustaceans are actually autolytic upon death which would vastly speed up the process. If you aren't using the food within 3 hours or less, it will have gone rancid; fish flesh would last longer but I wouldn't use it after 5 hours. Never refreeze thawed food. This is according to a frozen food analysis done for the Vancouver Aquarium a while back.

+1

I wouldn't eat thawed out food that had been left out overnight, nor would I refreeze it for later, so why would you for your fish.

new but handy
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
so animals are very picky with what they eat in the wild?????
Crocodiles will let their food rot for weeks before they even try to eat it.
I'm not saying I would, but if you throw a peice of rotting fish in the ocean do you think the fish would ask their waiter to take it back and then tell their friends not to eat there?
I think we sometimes think our fish are a little more than we think they are... animals

Snaz
04-27-2009, 12:42 AM
so animals are very picky with what they eat in the wild?????
Crocodiles will let their food rot for weeks before they even try to eat it.
I'm not saying I would, but if you throw a peice of rotting fish in the ocean do you think the fish would ask their waiter to take it back and then tell their friends not to eat there?
I think we sometimes think our fish are a little more than we think they are... animals

A dog will eat a rotting steak, will he barf? Probably. The point is an animal may eat rancid food but it is still rancid. Best to give your loved ones fresh food; scales, fur or a diaper they all need loving.

justinl
04-27-2009, 12:59 AM

yeah well sometimes people think they're a little more than they are as well... animals.

TheMikey
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Luckily frozen food is inexpensive enough that you can chuck it and by more for less of the cost of a new fish. When I left mine out overnight, the smell almost gagged me. I didn't want it in the house and I definitely didn't want it in my tank.