PDA

View Full Version : BTA Splitting

Pazil
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Well while inspecting the tank this morning to see if the seahorse had delivered yet, I find our BTA is just about finished splitting. Here is a pic.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/BTASplitLarge.jpg

I will likely be selling the clone on the right in about a week after it has a chance to heal. PM if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Lawrence

Oxymoron
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice grats bud.
Great pic btw too. Is there anything you can attribute to the split or just a random event?

Pazil
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks! I noticed twice this week he caught a large piece of krill....could have something to do with it. Not sure really.

parkinsn
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow Lawrence your having great luck with the new tank.

digital-audiophile
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Just watch your params and the general state of your tank... my dumbass BTA has splt 3 times in the past week and I have been faced with STN/RTN and all kinds of nasty events since. :(

RCFA
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Just watch your params and the general state of your tank... my dumbass BTA has splt 3 times in the past week and I have been faced with STN/RTN and all kinds of nasty events since. :(

Just a thought, but instead of the corals reacting to the splitting of the BTA, perhaps they are both reacting to some other factor in your tank. I have read that splitting is sometimes a survival reaction to some adverse conditions and if the corals are STN/RTN, then maybe something is triggering both of these issues?

digital-audiophile
04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I attribute my issues to the splitting as there have been no other changes in my tank. No new additions in the way livestock. I maintain a zeo dosing regiment and weekly water changes with RBS. Feeding.. dosing.. everything has been constant. It wasn't until after the splitting that I saw any changes to the health of the rest of the coral.

It's just an ssumption however.. as with so many things that go wrong in a tank it is hard to really pin it down to the route cause.

RCFA
04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Ya, it seems impossible to determine root causes in reef tanks. There are so many variables and so much anecdotal evidence that cannot be considered scientific, as it is almost impossible to compare one system to another. Experience with our own systems is the best education and allows us to figure out what is happening in our little glass box. I guess I am just always searching for root causes of certain events in my tank, usually to no avail, rather than fixing symptoms alone. I have tried to induce my BTA to split on several occasions by following WC routines, feeding increases etc. that have worked for others but my BTA has never spilt in the 3+ year I have had it, just grown lots, no idea why.

Pazil
04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
This is funny to me.. I had gotten this BTA with the hopes of it growing large enough that my 2 clowns would host in it and here we go with a split and now its back to the size I bought it at. :lol::lol:..... Anyway I just checked all parameters and nothing has changed since the last check.... I will keep a close eye on them. Saturday is WC day anyway.

Cheers and thanks for the comments

Lawrence

Ya, it seems impossible to determine root causes in reef tanks. There are so many variables and so much anecdotal evidence that cannot be considered scientific, as it is almost impossible to compare one system to another. Experience with our own systems is the best education and allows us to figure out what is happening in our little glass box. I guess I am just always searching for root causes of certain events in my tank, usually to no avail, rather than fixing symptoms alone. I have tried to induce my BTA to split on several occasions by following WC routines, feeding increases etc. that have worked for others but my BTA has never spilt in the 3+ year I have had it, just grown lots, no idea why.

Pazil
04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow Lawrence your having great luck with the new tank.

Everything seems to be going better than expected..... fingers crossed it stays that way... When is your new tank going to be ready... exciting times.

Cheers