PDA

View Full Version : new vs old Tunze Wavebox...

gobytron
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a line on a tunze wavebox from a friend who used it for about a year and then quit reefing.
it's about 3 years old all in all though and I have noticed people talking about the new vs the old versions of the tunze wavbox.

what are the differences?

if any knows or knows where I might look to find out, I would appreciate the shared info.....

thanks.
Goby

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I have a line on a tunze wavebox from a friend who used it for about a year and then quit reefing.
it's about 3 years old all in all though and I have noticed people talking about the new vs the old versions of the tunze wavbox.

what are the differences?

if any knows or knows where I might look to find out, I would appreciate the shared info.....

thanks.
Goby

I think the only difference is the impeller in the pump. Which is actually a significant difference. I have the 'older' pump but with the newer one piece impeller that doesn't break as easily.

There may be other differences too but that's all I am aware of.

gobytron
04-24-2009, 05:20 PM
thank you for that...
seems like a nominal difference, but considering what a sureflow upgrade can do for an mj, it's not surprising.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
thank you for that...
seems like a nominal difference, but considering what a sureflow upgrade can do for an mj, it's not surprising.

I'm not sure the impeller is much different performance wise (as in more flow). I think it's just a matter of not breaking as easy now. They were breaking often with the old design. But then you could always send the broken one to Tunze and they would send you a new one for free. That is why I have an 'older' wavebox but new impeller.

gobytron
04-24-2009, 05:38 PM
solid.
I'm looking at one for 325$ with 2 magnet holders...
I HAVE a tunze nano wavebox, but the full size version would be better in my 90 Im thinking.

hillegom
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
solid.
I'm looking at one for 325$ with 2 magnet holders...
I HAVE a tunze nano wavebox, but the full size version would be better in my 90 Im thinking.

Is that a good deal gobytron? Does it come with 2 pumps?
Thanks

gobytron
04-24-2009, 05:52 PM
pretty sure it's just the one box and the controlller...

I dunno, I spent 400 for my nano new but the full size wavebox seem to go for 599.99 at JL and each of the two magnets for 40.00...
thats basically half price from new and it hasn't seen much use, so to me, it's a good deal, but what do I know.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
pretty sure it's just the one box and the controlller...

I dunno, I spent 400 for my nano new but the full size wavebox seem to go for 599.99 at JL and each of the two magnets for 40.00...
thats basically half price from new and it hasn't seen much use, so to me, it's a good deal, but what do I know.

Seems like a good deal.