PDA

View Full Version : lighting headache

Brighteyes_13
06-27-2003, 07:04 AM
my mind is running numbers and colors and i dont know what do do! :confused: argh!

ok here goes...

my husband and i are getting metal halides for my 50g, decided we like the idea of a 10000k bulb (may change this too) on a 250w ballast, but my husband is a DIY kinda guy and cant decide between a pulse(M138) or probe(M58) ballast.

What are the pros and cons of each?

also, what bulbs would you recommend for each?

I would really appreciate anyones response (even if its just to laugh at me) :wink:

thanks
Colleen & Brandon

Aquattro
06-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Colleen, welcome to Canreef! I believe that if you are going to use an Ushio 10k bulb, the pulse start is the correct ballast. This is because Ushio (and other Europen bulbs) don't have a built in starter.
Steve (Stircrazy) is probably the best resource here as he just researched adding 250w bulbs to his tank not too long ago. He'll post about 4 in the morning or so :razz:

What do you have or plan to have in the tank? Also, try and get around to some of the tanks in Victoria to get a first hand look at the different bulbs and how they look in person.

Brighteyes_13
06-27-2003, 07:45 AM
Ushio recommends using the probe start ballast for the 250w 10000k light though.... it really doesnt make sense. both the 175 and the 400w use pulse start. Even Hellolights.com shows the 250w ushio with the probe start (M58-H37) http://www.hellolights.com/25unmagm58ba.html

do you know why this is or is it ok to use the pulse start for the 250w 10000k ushio?

Brighteyes_13
06-27-2003, 07:50 AM
my husband and i have had our tank set up for just about 2 months so were still pretty new to all this, and would love to meet more reefers in our area. it always helps to have someone elses tank to admire while youre planning the future of your own.

our tank is 50g w 3'aragamax and live sand, w 70lbs of live rock. right now were just running 2 NO fluorescents. we have 2 green chromis, 2 ocellaris clown and a lawnmower blenny. (just in case you wanted to know)

StirCrazy
06-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Hmm not 4 in the morning but close :rolleyes: I just stopped to check e-mail on my way to work..

Ok if you are going to run european bulbs (AB, BLV, Radium or USHO in the 250 watt range) the ANSI M80 ballast is the best choice, with a pluse start following it up. Even though the Ushio has a started added it will develop starting problems after a while on a normal 250 watt Ballast. The M80 is a pricy ballast (Aprox $150.00 each, and a pulse start is about $110.00 I think. Don't quote me on prices as the could have changed hehe)

anyways off to work and back to camping.

Steve