PDA

View Full Version : Prego Seahorse ... Baby pics added 04-28

Pazil
04-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Thought I would share a picture of our Seahorse who is due to give birth any day..... This will be his 3rd delivery since we got them. Unfortunately we do not have the setup to try to raise them.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/IMG_3922Large.jpg http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/IMG_3926Large.jpg

Also here is current FTS.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/IMG_3882Large.jpg

Cheers
Lawrence

Myka
04-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Oh wow, you have them in your reef? Very cool.

my2rotties
04-24-2009, 02:47 AM
What a beautiful tank!! Its too bad you can't raise the young since it seems people are screaming for tank raised seahorses. Wish I had a nano.

Pazil
04-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Oh wow, you have them in your reef? Very cool.

Yes in the reef and seem happy and fat!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Pazil
04-24-2009, 02:54 AM
What a beautiful tank!! Its too bad you can't raise the young since it seems people are screaming for tank raised seahorses. Wish I had a nano.

Thanks... I really wish we could raise them for now it is just not possible.

my2rotties
04-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Your success just goes to prove that sometimes rules can be bent and you still can have a happy tank with the choices you have made. I think that is awesome!!!

Thanks... I really wish we could raise them for now it is just not possible.

Carmen
04-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Very Cool Lawrence! He does look ready to POP! NEAT! Tank looks great!

Pazil
04-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Very Cool Lawrence! He does look ready to POP! NEAT! Tank looks great!

Thanks Carmen!!

Pazil
04-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Your success just goes to prove that sometimes rules can be bent and you still can have a happy tank with the choices you have made. I think that is awesome!!!

Yes it can work out (sometimes).....Thanks for the comment! Hopefully this time I can get a video or pic of the birth (if I am not at work) to share....otherwise I just get the frantic phone call from my wife:lol::lol:

Cheers
Lawrence

subman
04-24-2009, 03:35 AM
I love the aquascaping of your tank what size is it?

Pazil
04-24-2009, 03:36 AM
I love the aquascaping of your tank what size is it?

Thanks....it is 150g...36dx36wx27h.

Cheers
Lawrence

es355lucille
04-24-2009, 03:57 AM
You have a very nice tank Lawrence! I really like your rock work. The seahorse is very cool.

parkinsn
04-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Thats awesome Lawrence!!! Tank looks great.

lobsterboy
04-24-2009, 04:49 AM
hows she goin bi, da tank is lookin right on :razz:

Pazil
04-24-2009, 04:56 AM
You have a very nice tank Lawrence! I really like your rock work. The seahorse is very cool.

Thanks we really enjoy it.

Thats awesome Lawrence!!! Tank looks great.

Thanks Scott

hows she goin bi, da tank is lookin right on :razz:

Thanx bi... listen I need a 4th for some bish u in?:lol::lol:

lobsterboy
04-24-2009, 05:24 AM
LOL, git the crib board out

karazy
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM

it wouldnt be too hard to plumb a nano into your main system and then you would only need a tank,lights,and plumbing

my2rotties
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Nope I don't want one for a very long time. I can live vicariously through other members.:biggrin:

it wouldnt be too hard to plumb a nano into your main system and then you would only need a tank,lights,and plumbing

Pazil
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Here are some terrible pics that I was able to get during the delivery of the babies... Unfortunately, as expected, all eaten. Just thought I would share.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/SeahorsefryLarge.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/ljmuller/Seahorsefry2Large.jpg

Cheers
Lawrence

Rbacchiega
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
how often are they reproducing??? I've got some empty 10 gallons...

my2rotties
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
That would be heart breaking to watch all the young get eaten. I hope somebody can raise the batch for you in the future... I sure wish I could.

Pazil
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
how often are they reproducing??? I've got some empty 10 gallons...

This is Mrs. Pazil (the better half) as he is at work. They are reproducing approximately every 6 weeks. We have never caught them mating so I am not sure how long he remains pregnant for as seahorses vary with the length of pregnancy. Once his belly appears ready to 'explode' we know it will be within 3 days. Raising the little ones seems to be a full time adventure as they need food almost round the clock and many brine hatcheries to keep the food coming. We would have a short window of opportunity to catch and siphon them out so having someone else raise them would be unlikely until we can retire and do this full time or have the seahorse nanny move in during that 3 day waiting period in order to transfer them quickly....:lol::lol:.

That would be heart breaking to watch all the young get eaten. I hope somebody can raise the batch for you in the future... I sure wish I could.

This is truly the hard part. It is REALLY amazing to watch the birth, however, the excitement does not last long and quite honestly looks incredibly painful. However, as a typical male he is right back at it dancing around with her looking for more within hours of birth:redface::redface:.

Anyway, hello to all canreefers....I can't believe I enjoy this hobby so much!

Cheers
Sharon