PDA

View Full Version : Sixline gone :(

banditpowdercoat
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Well, come back from camp yesterday, to find my Sixline missing. Can't see him anywhere, or find the body. Tested params this morning, PO4 is up, 0.1. This tank never has a PO4 problem. Overflow is blocked by eggcrate, so I dont think he got in there. He didnt allways eat at feeding time though. Allways energetic, but not allways out at feeding. Bummer. Making water for a change now. If I can't get the body out, how long approx for elevated PO4?

Marlin65
04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
How many crabs and starfish?
You might never find the body if it was small.
I would just keep testing the water before you rip the tank apart. You should see it fairly fast as it would decompose or get eaten within a few days. (depending on the size) I would think a 45 thats been running for a while should be able to handle a small wrasse.

banditpowdercoat
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
he was about 2.5-3" long. Have 3 hermits, no starfish. but a LTA that I think ate a Sea hare once.

I\ll keep checking Params. Is it common for Sixlines to just up and die?

mark
04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
understand NH3 and NO3 going up with a death but not sure about PO4.

globaldesigns
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your sixline...

I just lost mine, it was my very first fish, when I started my 28gallon, moved it over to my 300 gallon when I sold the 28. Just last month I noticed it in the overflows, but couldn't get it out, then I noticed it was gone. When looking for it, the sixline somehow went down the durso standpipe and into the refuge. When I cleaned my skimmer and restarted it, It wouldn't work, found that the sixline went head first into the pump of my euro reef, decapitated. WHAT A WAY TO GO... Poor guy.

banditpowdercoat
04-24-2009, 04:35 AM
understand NH3 and NO3 going up with a death but not sure about PO4.

Well, allways had untraceable PO4 untill now. BUT, my cheato has shrunken to half its size 3 weeks ago

Delphinus
04-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I lost my sixline about a week ago too. Weird to hear others as well. He was my oldest fish too, had him 8 years. Sort of a mixed bag of emotions, I did like him very much, but he was a mean fish to any newcomer, he also killed off a mandarin out of the blue. For any newcomer the only way to earn peace from him was to beat him up worse, then he'd leave that fish alone. So I can sort of see the other fish in the tank aren't broken up by the loss, but nevertheless, I'm sort of bummed out at the loss. Sorry to hear about yours guys losses too.

lobsterboy
04-24-2009, 05:30 AM
srry to hear, mine went carpet surfing after a year. six lines are my favorite fish, always whippin around.

hillegom
04-24-2009, 06:48 AM
srry to hear, mine went carpet surfing after a year. six lines are my favorite fish, always whippin around.

Mine did the same thing, carpet surf. Went on holidays, the sitter left the lid off, and asurfing we will go.

digital-audiophile
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't be too sad.. one of the worst things I have done in my reef keeping career was add a sixline :p

banditpowdercoat
04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be too sad.. one of the worst things I have done in my reef keeping career was add a sixline :p

And why do you say that?

digital-audiophile
04-24-2009, 08:22 PM
The fish was a terror, it would attack any new addition to the tank, it would take runs at me when I had my hands in the tank as well. I had my chance to remove it when it jumped out of the tank in front of me but I picked it up and put it back in.. still kick myself for that :p

banditpowdercoat
04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Sounds like my Female Clown. She's the witch of the tank. The sixline was just speedy. Zippin all around.

JDigital
04-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Sorry for your loss...

I feel I am about to loose a CBB that I'm pretty sure I can't help... in the last 2 days she has stopped eating, stopped hunting, hang out near the surface (not gasping for air), and just looks "spaced out"... I hope I'm wrong and will keep feeding selcon/garlic soaked foods..

banditpowdercoat
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I've read alot that CBB's can just up and do that. Loose interest and then slowly succumb to whatever it is.. :( so sorry to hear that too