PDA

View Full Version : 1 year has come and gone

StirCrazy
06-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Well just wanted to make a post saying that my tank has been running for 1 year with out a restart or a major problem (or selling my tank out of fusteration :mrgreen: )

a couple relflectons that I have as I look back are

1, I spent to much money on intermediat lighting. I should have never waisted anything on PC's. Untill you see the difference between a SPS under PC's and MH you will never be able to understand. (On I have both by the way and I will take some comparason pics when I get back from camping)

2, A Calcium reactor stabled my tank out in one week, I would never start another tank with out one if there was going to be any rock or corals of any type in it. iven if you don't need its full capability you can dial it down to supply what you need. Kalk is good but not enuf in a drip system in my opinion if you have a fair amount of rock.

3, Make a proper overflow from the start.. don't exparament with different types, while it wasn't expensive it was time consuming and some times fusterating when they don't run as quiet as you think.

"you don't know what your talking about till you have had a tank up and running for 1 year" is what I was told by a Mod on one board and as far as I can tell I think that I did pretty good for "Not knowing what I am talking about" :mrgreen: I also wanted to thank this Mod as he should know who he is because if it wasn;t for this comment and my stuberonness I probably woulden't have read and learned 1/2 as much as I have.

So, now that it has been one year I can join that magical club. and I can give advice and hopefully at least sound like I know what I am talking about :lol:

anyways I also finalized the deal on my new house today so this fall/winter stay tuned for the building of the "Monster Reef" which I amn going to take everything I learned from this one and hopefully create a second sucessfull reef but on a much larger scale.. oh and I won;t be putting any ^*%$ *&^%$ %$$&(&^ sea weed in that one.. :rofl:

Althought I don;t like the sea weed I think I introduced it my self and it is nothing more than a nusence (I have to pull it once and a while) but if anyone has some good sugestions of riding it from rock my ears are all open.. I will be moving my rock in to s kiddy pool when I move so I can "Clean" it..

Steve

Delphinus
06-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Congratulations on your milestone. (BTW, now you only have 4 more years to catch up to me :razz: J/K!! -- :lol: )

I think, and I hope you will see this for yourself too, that things REALLY start to get good after a year.

Dorkel Marine 1
06-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Just one year. Well I've always appreciated your research and analytical approach to things. Now that your magical I hope it doesn't go to your head. Looking forward to seeing the beginning of the monster tank.

Question? Could you put Metal Halide over a 30 gal. tank. Any input appreciated

George Muller

Aquattro
06-27-2003, 07:39 AM
[quote="Dorkel

Question? Could you put Metal Halide over a 30 gal. tank.
George Muller[/quote]

George, a guy on RC (Lunchbucket) has a 400w over his 20g, so yes, you can put MH over a 30g. Heat will likely be an issue though.....