PDA

View Full Version : Casualties this weekend

BCReefer
09-05-2001, 02:00 PM
This weekend I purhcased 2 cleaner shrimp and put them in my tank. I thought did everything right. Put the bag in the water, add water from the tank, let them get adjusted, add the shrimp and turn off the light. The next day 1 was dead and then the day after the 2nd was dead. All I have is a maroon clown, 2 yellow tail dams and a bi-coulour blenny.

Any idea of what could have caused this. All the other fish are enjoying life. Water is good but maybe the shock of the transfer. I used the bags from the store, maybe next time I should use a pail?? I bought them from Big Al’s in BBY and traveled to Langley with no stops. 30 – 40 minutes tops? My tank is entering it 5th week of running. Is it to soon? I read what I could and it seemed that my tank was ready.

smokinreefer
09-05-2001, 05:02 PM
slow down...first let us be sure they are dead. have you taken out the bodies? were they solid? shrimp molt on a regular basis, that is they shed their calcarious exoskeleton when they grow. shrimp often do this when in a new system also. they may also hide after molting because they are more vulnerable due to the new skeleton needing time to harden.

so perhaps they are still alive somewhere, keep an eye out.

smokinreefer
09-05-2001, 05:08 PM
oh yeah, do you have test kits to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and calcium and alkalinity. these are important parameters that need to be stable, so you should test your water before proceeding.

IMO with a 5wk old tank and several fish already, assuming you have Live rock in your tank, should be finished cycling. but you should test anyhow. especially if your new to this. it will get you in the habit of checking your water, which is a good thing.

in an established aquarium, you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, low-0 nitrate, pH 8-8.3
calcium ~400+ and alk DKH ~8 as a guideline

reefburnaby
09-06-2001, 12:01 AM
Hello,

Man...that sucks. Inverts can be very sensitive to water conditions. Do you have any crabs or snails ?

- Victor.

George
09-06-2001, 04:21 AM
IME, any shock of water chemistry will kill an invert. instantly(within a couple of hours). Yours last a day. I don't think it's the shock that killed them.
I have a melanopous(sp) clown that will attack any new comer. Make sure you add the shrimp directly to your rock or after light out so that your clown can't see it.
Also J&L have cleaner shrimp much cheaper than Big Al's. Though a little smaller.

HTH
George

[ 05 September 2001: Message edited by: George ]

BCReefer
09-06-2001, 01:34 PM
Before I purchased the shrimp I tested the water as I wanted to be sure the water was ready. 0 amonia, 0 nitrate and PH 8.2.

The shrimp were laying on their side and it sure seemed that they were dead. I have not seen any shrimp ever shed their skin so I will look out for them. I am going out tonight to buy the additional test kits, for stuff I am not testing, to see if it was something else. I did buy 5 snails at the same time and when I checked them last night it looks like they have been eaten???

I have been told that Damsels can be aggressive. Could they be attacking the snails and the shrimp when the lights are off? I have some hermit crabs that are just running around like crazy so they enjoy the water.

Maybe I am moving to fast? I am starting to get the algae so I need to some more snails ASAP or I will change my whole thinking and get some algae eater fish. What would anyone recommend I am getting worried that I am doing something wrong?

Lastly I am doing a 10% water change each week.

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: BCReefer ]

reefburnaby
09-06-2001, 09:35 PM
Hello BC Reefer,

What is your salinity and what kind of snails did you get ?

- Victor.