PDA

View Full Version : Gobie and Shrimp Pair Question

Palster
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I am thinking of getting a Gobie/Pistol Shrimp pair for my Nano tank and was wondering how much you actually see these little guys? I have had Gobies in some of my other tanks they you hardly ever saw other than at feeding time. I really don't want to add a fish that you aren't going to see much of so I thought I would ask the question.

mseepman
04-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a wheeler goby/pistol pair in my 16g nano and I think I see them quite a bit. Certainly whenever I feed.

They are extremely shy so movements too close to the tank send them running.

The pistol loves to dig so you need to make sure you have a decent sandbed. Also make sure your rock is on the glass and the sand is around it as he will dig right under and get crushed otherwise.

I have a ton of fun watching my pair and I would recommend them to anyone.

Marlin65
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Saw three pairs for sale at OA if you are looking to buy.

ponokareefer
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
When I only had the goby/pistol shrimp pair in my nano, I saw them all the time. If you made any sudden movements though, they dissapeared for a while. After I added a clown to the set up, I only see the goby once and a while. I rarely ever see the shrimp now.

reef bound
04-22-2009, 07:02 PM
We had a yellow watchman in our 34g Red Sea Max and the little turkey decided to dig to make his home right at the back of the tank, never to be seen. We added a pistol shrimp a few weeks later and they found each other within minutes and the pistol started digging at the front of the tank and they lived happily ever after. We saw them all the time. (But really, I think it's just luck that he dug at the front). We moved them to our 180g and we haven't seen the pistol shrimp since, but the goby has made his home under a rock at the front of the tank. I know, makes no sense.

TheMikey
04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
When I had my old PC lights, I rarely saw them. Then when I upgraded to T5HO, they're out all the time. The Goby cruises around the bottom of the tank and the shrimp digs everywhere. They're not as active as my clowns but the symbiotic relationship that they have is far more interesting to watch!

For a fellow Nano owner (or anyone for that matter!) I would definitely recommend them.

tang daddy
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I added 3 pistol shrimps into my 120g now all I hear is clicking.....

in my sump I added one and see him lots sometimes then not othertimes my sump refuge area is comparable to 20g, I added a blue pistol to my AIO never to be seen again but the clicking does sound neat!! :lol:

mark
04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Nearly 1/2 of Dec 07/Jan 08 (Vol4/number8) issue of CORAL was on shrimp/gobies, often see back issues at LFS.

I dream of a pair but unwilling to add sand to my BB.

my2rotties
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
What do you provide for food for the pistol shrimp? I know they kill other shrimp, but do they kill small fish as well?

Ian
04-23-2009, 01:49 AM
I see my pair daily and they surrvive on the mysis that i feed everyone else. I just make sure a few go into the entrance to the home that they have made for themselves. I really enjoy watching them and would put in another pair if I had room.

I have seen no aggression at all out of them other than when somebody comes a little to close and gets run off.

mseepman
04-23-2009, 03:24 AM
My pair is in a 16 gallon nano with a clown goby and a peppermint shrimp. No aggression from the pistol towards my peppermint nor to my hermits. I just feed the tank and he gets what he gets.

Palster
04-23-2009, 07:51 PM
My pair is in a 16 gallon nano with a clown goby and a peppermint shrimp. No aggression from the pistol towards my peppermint nor to my hermits. I just feed the tank and he gets what he gets.

That's good to know. I already have a Boxer Shrimp aka Banded Coral Shrimp in my tank and was hoping I won't have any issues mixing the Pistol Shrimp and the Boxer Shrimp.

mseepman
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
The only thing I will say in regards to your setup is that the Coral Banded Shrimp sometimes picks a fight it can't win while the peppermint I have is a big wuss. That may make a difference.

RCFA
04-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Mine seem to show up in a new hole every night around feeding time. Always out front. It is great to see the shrimp making the hole and I do have to target feed a bit as nothing really settles near them if I don't put the food right out in front of their hole. every day their old hole is closed up and they are back out the next night somewhere else. They must have a huge network of tunnels under my rock.

my2rotties
04-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I was watching the world's most extreme animals and they had a section on the pistol shrimp. It explained how they hunt and how their strike is like a sonic weapon. They showed footage of it hunting, and it killed and ate a cleaner shrimp. I would have never thought they could live with other shrimp in an aquarium! I guess with lots of food present they have no need to kill anything else... that is so cool.

Mind you I keep a puffer, banana wrasse and a trigger with a coral banded, cleaner and peppermint shrimp and have had no losses as of yet.

Puff
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
i just picked up a hifin red banded goby and a randalls pistol shrimp from J&L. they teamed up within 10 seconds and started burrowing.

earlier in the week i went to king eds and was talked into a pistol shrimp that i was told was goby friendly. i also bought a hifin...

well...when i got home i found out the pistol shrimp was a bullseye pistol shrimp...which are definitely not goby friendly. the goby was down with hanging out...but the pistol shrimp decided to eat it the first night in the tank. so he was brought to JL yesterday.lol