PDA

View Full Version : Not Again, ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

ickmagnet
04-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Man oh Man, I just bought a powder blue tang that I have been monitoring at the store for over a month and a half. He was fine there with no problems. I put him in my tank the day before yesterday and he was swimming strong and eating well. I noticed some bumps on him today and when i took a closer look, he was covered in ick!!

He continues to eat well and the ick does not seem to be affecting him other than the fact that he tends to take a break from swimming every 10 minutes or so for about a minute. He then comes out of his rest place and does laps for a while. I fed him today and he is eating well.

I turned the temperature up to about 85, hoping it will rid it of ick. I've had horrible luck with this fish in the past. My two other tangs are doing fine. there is no fighting going on in there as i have got rid of my aggressive blue tang the day i put in my powder blue.

My question is, judging from everyone's experience, what are its' chances???

This is probably the healthiest powder blue tang that i have ever seen at a fish store.

Leah
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I would soak all food in selcon and a couple of drops of garlic ASAP. Even soak the
algae assuming you give them algae that is. Hope it will pass good-luck. Maybe your
name is a jinyx.:biggrin:

fishytime
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Feed with selcon or similar vitamin supplement and garlic as stated earlier. Turn your temparature back down....increased temps do not speed up the life cycle of marine ich, like it does freshwater ich.

naesco
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Do as Leah said but I would reverse it.
Soak the food in garlic extract, garlic extreme and add several drops of selcon.

fishay
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
+1 on the garlic + selcon soaked food. Took care of what looked like a mild case of ick on my clowns.

ickmagnet
04-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Ok did as directed but today he looks worse. the ick is very prominent and he is covered. He won't eat either. However, he continues to swim around the tank but has slowed down.

Today will be the make or break night. I'll check on him in the morning before work and we'll see where he is at.

It probably is my handle that is cursing it

Atomikk
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
PBTs (Powder Blue) are ick magnets. This is very well known.

So at this point, if it is not eating, you have to take him out and place him into a quarantine tank. If you don't have one, or don't know how to set it up, look here (http://blog.fragd.it/2008/11/20/a-proper-quarantine-tank-setup/).

Since it is covered with ick, and is in a QT, use 3/4 of the recommended dose of copper. Make sure you monitor ammonia levels, as you will have to do water changes ever other day or so.

Leah
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Keep feeding your display with garlic and Selcon. In my 72 gallon I use the top line on
the dropper at least you want to keep everyone else's immune system strong. I use
Selcon almost daily. I alway's serve one meal per day with lot's of vitamins soaked in.
+1 on getting him out of their.. ASAP

Marlin65
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I feed garlic daily as well as I feed mostly frozen food and have never seen any sigh of Ick with my fish. Hope he gets better.