PDA

View Full Version : CBS Early show and Nemo

spikehs
06-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Not sure how many of you frequent reefcentral but have you checked out this thread? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201848&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

download the video if you have time........I never knew keeping a sw tank was so easy. :rolleyes:

sumpfinfishe
06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
This is insane :evil:
I will make sure that all my freshwater buddies never buy a single Tetra product again-EVER :exclaim:

Here's a direct link to the clip from the showhttp://www.yano7.com/fish/movies/tetra.wmv

Rich

AJ_77
06-26-2003, 03:52 PM
:eek:
That clip is worse than I imagined - easy to see why so many at RC and other places are more than a little upset.

Why didn't they talk about the huge display tank in the background, and how much it costs to hire a maintenance person for it??

spikehs
06-26-2003, 04:01 PM
i fired off a letter to tetra...took me 2 secs. Always happy to reem someone out to do my part! :razz:

Chad
06-26-2003, 04:12 PM
:eek:
That clip is worse than I imagined - easy to see why so many at RC and other places are more than a little upset.

Why didn't they talk about the huge display tank in the background, and how much it costs to hire a maintenance person for it??

I could not find the clip??? :confused:

spikehs
06-26-2003, 04:14 PM
sumpfinfishe posted a direct link.

christyf5
06-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Dear god, I had no idea that clip was so incredibly bad. No wonder people are up in arms. It was like watching a horror movie between your fingers. :eek:

Christy :)

Chad
06-26-2003, 04:51 PM
OK, I am blind... :frown: ..

Thats amazing how someone in the industry can say those things. Very distressing..

Chad

DJ88
06-26-2003, 06:47 PM
That clip definately has a lot of collective blood pressure raised over at RC. Very touchy subject.

kris
06-26-2003, 08:10 PM
OH_MY Im horrified.

i fired of 2 from each of my 4 acounts. has anyone gotten any replys?

Chad
06-26-2003, 08:14 PM
OH_MY Im horrified.

i fired of 2 from each of my 4 acounts. has anyone gotten any replys?

Your accounts?

spikehs
06-26-2003, 08:17 PM
if you look at some of the early pages ~7-12 I think, there is a general response something to the effect: Thanks for you comments, due to the length of the segment we couldn't show everything we wanted to please refer to our website for proper care." yet there isn't' anything on the site about sw fish. :rolleyes:

Chad
06-26-2003, 08:30 PM
if you look at some of the early pages ~7-12 I think, there is a general response something to the effect: Thanks for you comments, due to the length of the segment we couldn't show everything we wanted to please refer to our website for proper care." yet there isn't' anything on the site about sw fish. :rolleyes:

If that is the case they should have said that on the show. And let the listeners know that there is more too it than what they made it out to be.

Chad

christyf5
06-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Ya, when she mentioned the part about putting dechlorinator in, I was wondering if she was putting the fish in freshwater or what.

Quinn
06-26-2003, 08:51 PM
I took a quick look at their site and I'm not even sure they manufacture anything for marine tanks... that's like a Ford garage offering repair tips for BMW's. They can tell you it has an engine, tires and uses gas, but that's probably about it...

kris
06-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey chad, yes a have 4 e-mail acounts that i use for difrent things.

Dresden
06-27-2003, 12:23 AM
I'm so confused on how little she knew, whats with all the fish in that one tank? Why so many clowns in the tank behind them. Why does she think all these fish r raised on farms? YIKES :confused:

christyf5
06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Ya the "farmed" hippo tang was news to me :rolleyes:

sumpfinfishe
06-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Well I recieved a quick and likely response from Tetra this afternoon, nothing new just the same reply that they are mailing to everyone. Even still though, everyone should send a letter as we need to let them know that Canadian reefers are also upset at there actions.

Here is my letter and there reply:

To Whom it may concern:
I was completely disgusted to view your Finding Nemo promotion on the CBS morning show.
It's very alarming to see that the people at Tetra approve of keeping two clownfish, a blue tang, a starfish, and a seahorse all in one little 5gl tank!

It's ludicrous that Tetra approves of this kind of fish husbandry especially when you have the following opening statement on your webpage:

Be a responsible fishkeeper
What size tank do you need to ensure the health of the fish that you want?
What types of fish are compatible in your new aquarium?
How do you best care for the fish that you’d like to have in your aquarium?

All I can say is, I know quite a lot of people in the freshwater hobby that use your products, and after they see this segment of the Early Morning Show and also hear my complaints, I'm pretty sure that all of them will cease to support Tetra in the future.

a concerned reefkeeper
Rich.W-Vancouver, Canada
Thank you for writing to us about Tetra's appearance on the CBS Early Show.

The brevity of the segment prevented us from covering all of the points that we would have liked to cover. Tetra understands that setting up any aquarium is a complicated process and we refer people to responsible sources of information, such as a local retail pet professional or www.tetra-fish.com for more detailed information.

Your point is well taken. I can assure you that we will consider your concerns in all of our future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Tetra Consumer Relations

The email address for Tetra is:consumer@tetra-fish.com

Trevor Robertson
06-27-2003, 04:18 AM
all I can say is holy CRAP!!!

I know more then this so called expert! Lets just put some water in a tank then dump in way to many fish as we sit back and let out kids watch nemo die.

Yippie

christyf5
06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Well as Em and I overheard at one LFS in Vancouver "everything has to die sometime..." :eek: :rolleyes:

Chad
06-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Well as Em and I overheard at one LFS in Vancouver "everything has to die sometime..." :eek: :rolleyes:

Thats got to be the saddest bunch of *#%# that I have ever heard of. I will be sure not to visit a LFS in Vancouver :eek:

Chad