PDA

View Full Version : Supports for Light fixture mounting legs

balistidae
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Well I just got my 250w mh running and was temporarily supporting it on the glass top. Within 5 minutes the glass top shattered and the light almost fell in. Needless to say I am now going open top.
The issue is now I need something for the legs to stand on. It is a 54g corner bowfront and the light is only 24". So the braces will need to run front to back on the inner trim lip. Does anyone have any ideas of what to use?? Thank you

TheMikey
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Your best bet would be to mount it from supports in the ceiling, imho. But jeez, that kind of light that close to the tank would cause huge heat problems. Be lucky the glass broke instead of the light boiling your fish.

balistidae
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
tank is still empty I was just testing the light out.I was trying to avoid hanging the light/damaging the ceiling.

balistidae
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Could I just get some acrylic cut to fit?

fkshiu
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Cheapest would be a couple of pieces of wood laid along the side edges (front to back) with the fixture sitting on top.

parkinsn
04-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Acrylic may get warped by the heat, and having it that close you may run into a heat problem with your tank. Do you have a chiller running? You can get thoes decrative celing hooks that have a toggle bolt on them to put in your celing without damaging it, if its a rental just leave them there when you leave. I put 4 in my celing to hold my fixture and you dont really notice them if you dont know they are there.

balistidae
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I wish it was a rental then I would have no problem hanging it. Has anyone seen a place to get those metal bars that come from behind the tank to hang the fixture?