PDA

View Full Version : Orange, sulpher smelling effluent

Jboy
06-26-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi there, I have a canreef Ca reactor which has been working fine. My bubble count is about 8/min, and my drip rate is about 25 min. The PH is of the effluent is 6.8. Like most people, I collect the effluent in a cup which overflows into the sump.

A few weeks ago, the effluent cup became all orange, and the effluent started to smell like sulpher. Nothing seems terribly wrong, but I am now getting a thin orange ppt "film" on the top of the effluent in the cup, and the smell is getting a bit stronger.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jason

Aquattro
06-26-2003, 04:33 AM
What type of media are you running?

Troy F
06-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Moved to the Reef Forum

Jboy
06-26-2003, 05:01 AM
I am running ARM aragonite reactor media, and it has been in there for about 7 months now. the level of the media is down about 3" from original height.

Jason

DJ88
06-26-2003, 05:03 AM
You are running the flow rate so slow that your reactor is in effect becoming an anerobic zone. Which is breaking down ammonia etc. Same thing that happens in a DSB.

What size tank do you have? 25 drips per min is not a lot when you look at the volume of a tank.

I am running a 33 gallon tank and have an effluent rate of 75 milliliters per minute.

I highly doubt that with those rates you are getting much if any use out of your reactor. It is becoming a denitirifcation device. or partially so. Not a Ca reactor.

Aquattro
06-26-2003, 05:11 AM
Darren, I like your theory, although I would expect the pH to be lower in that case. Thoughts?

DJ88
06-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Four bubbles of CO2 a min isn't a heck of a lot.

I can see that on it's own the pH should drop tho if it is anerobic. How low does an anerobic zone go I wonder? maybe it has stabilized itself and 6.8 is the pH of a denitrificator.

Aquattro
06-26-2003, 05:43 AM
I imagine that if it's anaerobic, HSO4 is being produced and that would drop the pH below 6.8, IMO.
I think just to be safe though, the efluent rate can be increased. Also, how is the pH being measured? I've developed a distrust of pH measurements without verification. :razz:

DJ88
06-26-2003, 05:47 AM
I was thinking that now myself. But how else to explain the sulfur smell?

So short of knowing that the pH is in fact 6.8 using a reliable mearuement device we can assume that it is in fact less than that.

my bet is closer to 6. or less. Only way you are going to be breaking the organics down to get that smell is anerobic. I think at least.

What are you using to measure the pH Jason?

Jboy
06-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys....

wow, I am no chemist, so you are losing me a bit. I am measuring the PH with a PH monitor attached to my Neptune Aqua contorller II. I have calibrated the PH monitor with solution, and have also tested the PH with a test kit and the results are confirmed.

The Tank PH is 8.13. Now it's beena while since I actually confirmed the PH monitor readings, but for right now, let's assume they are correct.

Darren, i think you might be onto something, for altough my corals are doing fine, they are not growing, and I am not getting any corraline (sp?) growing in the tank. I have a 92 gallon tank.

So here is a question. Assuming my system is anerobic, what settings do you suggest I try?

Thanks again
Jason

DJ88
06-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Jason,

It's not your system that I think is anerobic. :D It's your reactor. :)

If your whole tank was anerobic.. wow.. :D The smell woudl be summting else.

Since you used a pH monitor.. hmm

I'd say bump up the flow rate. I am running 75 ml/min with my reactor. :) For flow rate that is. Once you start getting fresher water in there the smell will subside. As for the algae. I have seen that stuff before. It may go away witha higher flow.

Start at that rate and then adjust your CO2 accordingly to get the alk in your effluent that keeps up with your tanks demands.

I'd add more but I have to run.

Brad will chime in shortly I am sure. :D

Jboy
06-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks darren,

O.K. So I'll up the effluent level to 75 drops/min, and leave the CO2 as is. Once the PH raises, I'll increase the bubble count to bring the PH back down to around 6.8.

I have forgotten right now what my ALK was, but i think it was around 12. Should I keep it at this level?

And does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks very much
Jason

Aquattro
06-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Jason, that plan sounds good. Let us know if it helps!

DJ88
06-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Sounds good. As Brad says. Keep us posted..

Oh was the Alk your tank or effluent?

Jboy
06-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys,

Darren, I'm at work right now, so I don't have my logbook. I think the ALK was of the tank, but I'll check when I get home.

Should I be measuring the ALK of the effluent? If so, what should it be?

Last question, I'm assuming that with a final drip count of 75/min, my bubble count should end up at around 15/min. Does this sound reasonable?

Tanks again guys, take care

Jason

StirCrazy
06-27-2003, 12:33 AM
The way I set mine up was to get a measuring cup and physicaly measure the amount of output in one minuit. for your case 75 ml / min is the same as 1/3rd of a cup in one minuit. once you get this flow rate stable then slowly start increasing your bubble rate on your CO2 untill the out put PH of your reactor is aprox 6.8 then you can fine tune from that point.

This is whare I leave mine and it works for me.. depending on volume and "other" tank factors you minght nheed more or less CO2.

Darren had a way of setting by using alkalinity but for some reason it didn't for my tank but it has for others.. basicly take what people say (Including myself) and use it as a reference to start at then fine tune your tank to what works for you.

Darren is also spot on with the denitrifacation happening in your reactor.. sulpher is a by product of anarobic activity in both salt water and fresh water tanks.. thats why you can buy sulpher denitraters and such. this is also what makes dead spots in your substrate stink.

Steve

Jboy
06-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, I placed the PH probe in PH7 calibration solution, and the reading was bang on at 7.0.

So, the probe is functioning perfectly. I habe the drip rate at about 70, and the PH of the efflurnt this morning was 6.77.

I'll measure the ALK tonight and report back.

Thanks guys! have a great weekend.

Jason

Jboy
06-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Great idea Steve,

If I remember from CHEM 101 at good ol UofA, I drop is about 1cc, so I was assuming the same. I like your measuring idea, and will properly measure out 75cc per minute tonight.

Good work, and have a great weekend..

P.S. anyone catch the Esks DESTROY the stampeders last night?

I love it...... :lol: