PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang

Sam1969
04-21-2009, 01:43 AM
So I have been fighting all kinds of algae lately and in the process to help control it I bought a lawnmower blenny on Friday .. today I come home from work and find that my flippin yellow tang decided to have him for lunch ... DOH ... damn tang ...

banditpowdercoat
04-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Your Tang ate your lawnmower Blenny? Thats weird. I have both in my tank and they get along fine. Never heard of a Yellow attacking another fish like that

my2rotties
04-21-2009, 03:21 AM
If you don't have a canopy, I would be looking on the floor for the LMB. There is no way a yellow tang would have eaten him. Also when they first come home, they hide and blend very well into the rock work. They can lighten or darken their colouring as well.

Sam1969
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Definately ate him ... I found most of the body in the bottom of the tank .. his eyes and face were picked apart and the only other fish in the tank are two small black clowns half the size of the lmb ...
The tang had been showing interest in him from the time I put him in there but I thought he would get use to him being there and eventually leave him alone ...

I WAS WRONG .... been wrong before .. and likely will be wrong again sometime...

banditpowdercoat
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Any clean up crew? Crabs? They will go for a fish after it has deceased.

Rbacchiega
04-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd pin the fact that you only have half the body on the clowns or any existing clean up crew. Chances are the fish died, was picked at by the clowns etc. Just because the tang was bigger doesn't mean that it is the culprit

mike31154
04-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree that it's unlikely the culprit is the tang. I also have a YT and a LB and there's never been an issue. The only flak the LB gets is from my Maroon Clown pair and that's only if he gets too close the their territory. Blue Devil Damsel also took a few runs at him after I put him in the tank, but he's grown since then and put the Blue Devil in his place. This is my 3rd LB by the way. First one sucked into powerhead intake, second carpet surfed so hopefully three's a charm. So far so good. Also agree that it's likely critters from the rock that scavenged the carcass. Hard to tell what initially caused his demise, but again, I doubt it was the tang.