PDA

View Full Version : Giesemann Fixture - Tridonic Ballasts

es355lucille
04-20-2009, 05:22 AM
I own a Giesemann (Original 230 series, I believe) fixture c/w 2 x 150 MH lights. I would like to modify this fixture to accomodate 2 x 250 MH.

I am totally assuming that these two ballasts will only run 150w MH bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can get Tridonic Ballasts from?

Or if there is one that would work in its place?

Thanks
Brad

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/es355lucille/IMG_0393.jpg

Binare
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Try Commercial Lighting here in Calgary, ask them about electronic mh ballast, they can order in the high horse series. Not sure if they special order without account... If not lemme know.

es355lucille
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Binare.....I called Commercial Lighting yesterday and they just got back to me this morning. They searched through multiple suppliers and even tried going straight to Triodonic......but no luck finding anything that will work even as a jobber for this fixture. I find that kinda strange.....so I am not sure of a direction here. I guess I could probably buy external balasts for 250w MH and wire into the unit?

Brad

Try Commercial Lighting here in Calgary, ask them about electronic mh ballast, they can order in the high horse series. Not sure if they special order without account... If not lemme know.

mike31154
04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I believe your assumption is correct. Any 250W ballast (electronic or tar), not to mention a dual is going to be much larger than that unit you have currently. Unlikely that it will fit into the fixture and even if it did, would certrainly generate additional heat which the fixture may not be rated for. External ballast(s) looks like the best option.

es355lucille
04-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey Mike. Thanks.......I am looking at the icecap external ballasts.....but I would have to buy two of these. I was sure I seen an external 250 MH dual ballast somewhere...not that they would be cheaper, just one unit would be nicer.

I believe your assumption is correct. Any 250W ballast (electronic or tar), not to mention a dual is going to be much larger than that unit you have currently. Unlikely that it will fit into the fixture and even if it did, would certrainly generate additional heat which the fixture may not be rated for. External ballast(s) looks like the best option.

Binare
04-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Ill admit those guys over there at commercial lighting aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, my account manager is getting me a price on ordering them in for ya. Don't bother with the reactor type (cap and core) style, I checked for electronics. Only way I'd consider going reactor is if running a digital timer or a controller and longevity and cost is a major issue. Digital timers and controllers can depending on the manufacturer leak current through the id, this will reduce the ballast and bulb life. An electronic ballast will increase life over the bulb by balancing strike and maintain voltages with less differential then reactors. In your case bulbs will cost you more then these (hopefully!) Ballasts... So makes more sense to have longer bulb life then ballast life.
Ill let you know how much and how long when she calls me back.

lastlight
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Try the Galaxy ballast.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=SL-MHBW2507

es355lucille
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks Binare! So I take it that you are an electrican by trade?

Ill admit those guys over there at commercial lighting aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, my account manager is getting me a price on ordering them in for ya. Don't bother with the reactor type (cap and core) style, I checked for electronics. Only way I'd consider going reactor is if running a digital timer or a controller and longevity and cost is a major issue. Digital timers and controllers can depending on the manufacturer leak current through the id, this will reduce the ballast and bulb life. An electronic ballast will increase life over the bulb by balancing strike and maintain voltages with less differential then reactors. In your case bulbs will cost you more then these (hopefully!) Ballasts... So makes more sense to have longer bulb life then ballast life.
Ill let you know how much and how long when she calls me back.

mike31154
04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Mike. Thanks.......I am looking at the icecap external ballasts.....but I would have to buy two of these. I was sure I seen an external 250 MH dual ballast somewhere...not that they would be cheaper, just one unit would be nicer.

I haven't seen many duals that are separately controllable, so when you plug it in, both bulbs will fire. While some of the dual ballasts have a switch for each circuit, they typically only have one mains cord so if you wish to use a timer, your options are limited. With separate ballasts, you have the option of putting each on its own timer, with the disadvantage of more bulk.

Binare
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Yes yes I am ;) always willing to help out in that department.

Thanks Binare! So I take it that you are an electrican by trade?

Binare
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Galaxy ballasts are waaaay over rated. They are cap and coil (reactor). For the price, I'd look at lumateks, a 250W electronic ballast incased with leads should cost about 150CAD, And they weigh a hell of a lot less so shipping would save ya even further. I'm sure they got a site, try http://lumatek.ca maybe.

lastlight
04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah I have no experience with them. Only serving up a link in the hope of being useful...

es355lucille
04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
If you don't have an luck finding a ballast, this is the way I should go.....a lot cheaper than the Ice Caps I was looking at. And with two ballasts I can control separately.....which would be a good thing.

Galaxy ballasts are waaaay over rated. They are cap and coil (reactor). For the price, I'd look at lumateks, a 250W electronic ballast incased with leads should cost about 150CAD, And they weigh a hell of a lot less so shipping would save ya even further. I'm sure they got a site, try http://lumatek.ca maybe.

parkinsn
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I tried to source these ballasts for another guy on here, its and OEM thing only. Keep in ming that the ballast housing for these fixtures also has a x-former in it to step it up to 240v from 120v, so you may have to add a x-former to your list of things to get. Also the bulb size is slightly larger on 250w that the 150w so you will have to get new sockets as well.

Binare
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Not sure what you mean by oem only. Lumateks are available in 120 and 240. Highhorse ballasts are not oem and also available in both voltages.

parkinsn
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I was referring to the tridonic not the lumatek. If you dont care about using the same ballast then yes there is lots of options out there. Im not sure what mean by Highhorse i have never heard of them. If its Workhorse by Fulham that you are thinking of im pretty sure they dont make a ballast for MH and they lost their CSA and are no longer sold in Canada.

Binare
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Workhorse can't handle mh, never heard that bout them? Must be farely new their ballasts were available bout a month ago at suppliers locally. Someone messed up. High horse is a new name in the game nothing to do with fulham, though they have a highhorse brand of mh ballasts as well, but only upto to 100w I believe.

es355lucille
04-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Really? Crap! I was thinking that a 150 and 250 were the same bulb length. Cripes by the time I change out all the parts...I will have made a new fixture. These reflectors are small and tight....so not sure if that would work without major mods. I will have to look at this as well.

Thanks guys for your help with this. I am not sure if this mod would be practical at this point.

Brad

I tried to source these ballasts for another guy on here, its and OEM thing only. Keep in ming that the ballast housing for these fixtures also has a x-former in it to step it up to 240v from 120v, so you may have to add a x-former to your list of things to get. Also the bulb size is slightly larger on 250w that the 150w so you will have to get new sockets as well.