PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Problems

Hopeful
04-20-2009, 03:10 AM
We have this tank that has been cloudy for about 3 months straight... to the point where it is actually not funny no more. We have had 3 different fish companies look at it and still no luck. It is actually white and appears to have a film on the surface of the tank. The filter system actually foams up and spills over the sides. Please anyone can give a pointer or two!!!

m109r
04-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Was it ever clear?

Bad Salt?

Clean it with soap?

Edit -- I should say did you ever clean it with soap, not clean it with soap

belzebuth
04-20-2009, 03:19 AM
I have to say, the foaming is weird. Was the equipment new or used when purchased. Can you please provide additional information on the tank?

Snaz
04-20-2009, 03:21 AM
More information is needed.

How large is the tank?
The live rock was cured or uncured?
Does the tank/water smell?
What pumps are running to move the water?
Have you tested the water? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH?
What is the specific gravity of the water?
Was this a new tank or was it running successfully somewhere else?

lorenz0
04-20-2009, 04:45 AM
have you tried using a filter sock?

fishytime
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
What is your source for water...tap, well, ro/di? Do you add any chemicals to the water before you mix in your salt? Are you dosing calcium?

Hopeful
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Here is some of the question you asked. I am posting this for a friend so it takes a little time to get them answered and post... thanks for the help thou.

90 gallons
I think Cured
Yes it smells
Just that main under the tank pump
Tests are all good
Dont know the gravity
Brand new tank and equipment
Tap water, just salt no calicum that we know of

hillegom
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
What does it smell like?
What are the tests results? amonia, nitrite, nitrate? ph and salinity
Is your friend on city water or a well?

Marlin65
04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Looks to me to be uncured rock that is going through a cycle. There is a lot or algae on the glass. The skimmer is adjusted to high and trying to keep up with pulling out all that crap. At least that is what the pictures look like to me.

Marlin65
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Looks like you have a clown. How much do you feed?
Or is that just a reflection, But do you have anything in the tank?

phreezee
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I had that on my fist tank years ago. turn off lights for 3+ days and cover the tank with garbage bags or whatever to keep all light from coming in.

Rbacchiega
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
+1 to the rocks cycling. Adjust the skimmer and turn of the lights and wait...I once had a tank that looked that way for 4 months.....stupid rock

Hopeful
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
The test result stated that the levels were good, which is surprising when the tank looks like it does. It is city water, and its the same in my tank and I have had no problems...(knock on wood) There are two blue damsels in the tank, and they are not getting over fed, they are getting a pinch of food a day.

Myka
04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Is he using a dechlorinator? If so, what brand? Some are known to foam up. Does he add anything to the tank besides the salt? Anything at all?

It does look like it's cycling, but that's a long time to be cloudy for. What brand test kits does he use? How old are they? When he says the levels are "good", what are the actual numbers?

What city are you guys in?

Hopeful
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
We are in Chilliwack. And I will have to work on getting that info.

mark
04-22-2009, 12:31 AM
3 months like that, I'd be draining and starting over.

Have to ask, it is marine salt? I have come across the suggestion to cycle a tank just using water softener salt.

Hopeful
04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, blacked out the tank for 60 hours... still cloudy, but maybe looking a little better... not much thou.