PDA

View Full Version : US Congressional Bill could stop Hobby

Zoaelite
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
If anyone has not been on Reefcentral lately I highly advise you take a look at this.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1616945

This bill would not affect Canada Directly but I'm sure there's massive side effects that would trickle down. Discus:lol:?
Levi

justinl
04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51640

...but yes, I find the prospect scary as well. some interesting views in the above thread puts things into perspective and makes you think about it more though.

Leah
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
May create a black market fish/coral industry

Zoaelite
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Ooo, sorry didn't realize there was a thread already going for this. Mods you can lock if you would like.
Levi

reeferious
04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
i'm a layman in regard to how us of a is in taking approach to its effort to halt further encroachment of its native species by nonnative wildlife species. viable piranha population in florida everglades. starving everglade kites falling from sky due to rapidly falling applesnail population(only thing they'll feed on) being replaced by nondesirable nonnative snail species introduced by aquarists like you and i. howabout caloupa overtaking and smothering everything in california, yea they were introduced by aquarists too. sorry about this rambling rant but if us congress can kickstart some concrete actions we as casual aquarists might just benefit in the long run.

GreenSpottedPuffer
04-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I already posted in the other thread but people need to read the bill before posting about how it will destroy the hobby. It should not effect the hobby very much at all. A few species may be harder to get or banned but it would only be a very few species that can be invasive/destructive to US wildlife. It's not a simple ban of everything like people are saying. It's quite specific and there has be reason for any species to be banned. I would be willing to bet that not a single Tang or Acro would ever get on that list. Hawaii may push for the tangs but they are already working their way towards an all out ban on collection in the islands anyways.

fdiddy
04-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, if they were worried about hawaiian fish being over-collected... what do you think will happen when they can't get fish from anywhere else?

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-20-2009, 01:36 AM
The hobby will be largely unaffected by the passing of this bill. That entire thread is just a big batch of scaremongering.