PDA

View Full Version : Zooanthid problem

bignose
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I have a couple of frags of zoos that have grown into each other. They have grown together for about 2 months with no problems, now one kind has been closed for the past 2 days.

I was thinking of cutting off most of the closed zoos and moving one or the other away.

Has anyone had this problem? suggestions?

Zoaelite
04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Try not to touch the zoa's if you can, cutting them might cause a melt of both pieces. Your best bet, especially since it has only been 2 days is to get a turkey blaster and blast both colonies to remove detritus/ nuisance algae growth. I have never seen 2 zoas (as long as they have similar disk shape/ size) EVER attack each other, now if ones bigger than the other it could out shade it and cause the others to close up. Can you get a photo for us?
Levi

bignose
04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
here is a picture.
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/jasoncompton1/zoas.jpg
These red zoas are the only ones that are like this.

reeferious
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
i like zoanthids in fact i absolutely adore them they're so colourful and undemanding that i must have atleast 6 large colonies growing in my tank. i'm always seeing swath of them closing for few days and reopening afterward. different types will grow and spread on same rock until they grow into eachother then each colony drew a line somewhere stop growing toward each other and begin spreading outward. like i said i like them so much i just dont have the heart to trim them back to size. so i wouldn't worry if you see yours closeup once in a while.

Zoaelite
04-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I completely Agree, Zoas close up time to time. The one parameter that I would check though is your ALK. Usually sensitive zoas closing and loosing mass are the first sign of an ALK spike. The inevitable truth is that from time to time colonies melt away, even the best of us cant stop that. Good luck with the zoas though looks like you have some nice pieces.
Levi

i like zoanthids in fact i absolutely adore them they're so colourful and undemanding that i must have atleast 6 large colonies growing in my tank. i'm always seeing swath of them closing for few days and reopening afterward. different types will grow and spread on same rock until they grow into eachother then each colony drew a line somewhere stop growing toward each other and begin spreading outward. like i said i like them so much i just dont have the heart to trim them back to size. so i wouldn't worry if you see yours closeup once in a while.

bignose
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Blew off the zoas and the rock waiting to see what happens. I really like these so I hope everything is ok.