PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't this seem to cheap?

anglfish
04-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey,

sorry this is not really a thread to sell any hardware but I just came accross this ad:

$300
85 gallon seastar aquarium, half inch glass, resealed recently, with stainless steel stand. diamentions are 36"wx30"tx18d comes with 250 watt metal halide, and lid, redsea protine skinner

and I am thinking "Why is this so cheap?". There surely must be something wrong with it, or not?
Has anyone seen an offer like this?

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice on this. And if you see the same ad, don't bother as I have already contacted them ;-)

Thanks,
Angela

Mrfish55
04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
If it's older equipment that actually seems a little pricey. I would look carefully at the re-seal job, if it wasn't done correctly it wont last long.

anglfish
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
If it's older equipment that actually seems a little pricey. I would look carefully at the re-seal job, if it wasn't done correctly it wont last long.

thanks for the tip.
So what exactly should I be looking for when I look at the seal to be able to tell whether it was done correctly?

Mrfish55
04-19-2009, 03:30 PM
It should be clean and clear (unless it was black silicone that was used) there should be no bubbles or discoloration either in the corners or especially where the panes of glass meet. Rub the edge of the sealant, it should be firmly attached to the glass, if it starts to lift it is not bonded. Also the sealant should be firm and rubbery, if it is soft and sticky stay away.

Myka
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I would be hesitant as well. The resealing is fine as long as it's well done, but WHY was it resealed? Is it old? Lots of scratches? The RedSea protein skimmer probably the Prizm Pro and would then be worthless imo, and looks good in the trash. If it's the Berlin, then it's ok. The light may or may not be decent as well, depends on brand and reflectors. Probably needs a new bulb too.