PDA

View Full Version : Booster Pump Hook up

Powertec
04-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Okay so i got a Coralife Booster pump today( Thanks Greg)
How do i hook this thing up?...lol
I have a high and low pressure switch..Anyone know how to hook this baby up?

Thanks

Funky_Fish14
04-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Are you dumping the product water into a pressure tank or just a large resevoir?

Im about to pick a booster pump up too, and wondering the same thing.

Powertec
04-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Into a rubbermaid..

Don't get a Coralife if you don't have a coralife RO unit as by the research i have done you can't hook it up to anything but a Coralife.

Sooo now i have to and try and find a new one..:(

Funky_Fish14
04-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Im dumping into a 61g polyethelyne bin.

Oh really? That sucks! You cant convert the piping? The coralife R/O units use standard 1/4 inch vinyl tubing i thought?

I was looking at this one specifically:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filters-&-Systems-RO/DI-Accessories/c9_11/p799/Aquatec-8800-Booster-%22Kit%22/product_info.html

Powertec
04-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Oddly this thing has a low pressure switch and a high pressure switch. To witch i have no idea where either goes..

And coralifes instructions dont show you anything...

Yes i may have to resort to that one to..:(

Funky_Fish14
04-19-2009, 05:06 AM
I just did a google search on it... it actually sounds like hookup is not too bad, and I think from BulkReefSupply there, it comes with the right connections for 1/4" vinyl tubing. It sounds like the auto-shut off switch will actually kill it when the water flow is turned off... which sounds ideal in our cases.

Funky_Fish14
04-19-2009, 06:39 AM
About that booster pump - My dad just bought it for me off Ebay... for less than on BulkReefSupply. It was 115 canadian. It just doesnt come with the auto shut-off switch. Just the heads up incase you decide to buy.

hillegom
04-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Powertec.
Would this diagram help?
http://www.watergeneral.com/support/pdf/pump%20instruction2.pdf
If you did not have a ro faucet, then the DI would go there, otherwise, the di would T off of the storage tank.

Powertec
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Powertec.
Would this diagram help?
If you did not have a ro faucet, then the DI would go there, otherwise, the di would T off of the storage tank.

Now we are getting there:)
Thank-you!!!

So now since my husband isn't home we need to talk Girl language...lol
Where would the low pressure and high pressure switch go??
I am starting to see how it all comes together it is just the 2 switches that are messing me up!!

Here is what i am looking at...

The pump has an inlet and outlet then comes the high pressure switch that has an inlet and outlet..Then the low pressure that just has an outlet only

hillegom
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't have the instructions for the coralife unit. In the diagram for the water general, the solenoid ESO, is marked input, output. So it matters which tubing goes where. Their pressure switch,TSO, is not marked, therefore you can connect input/ output to whichever side you want.

hillegom
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
This diagram shows you where the low and high pressure lines are located. Put the switches in the proper line. good to go.
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/electronic-shutoff.asp
Ignore the electronic-shutoff unit name. This is where the high pressure switch goes.

Funky_Fish14
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
So it looks like the booster pump is connected to the R/O system prior to the prefilters even?

hillegom
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
When your water pressure in the mains is low you put a booster pump before the RO. The RO unit needs at least about 50 psi to operate efficiently IMO

Funky_Fish14
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Alright, thanks! Figures, I was just wondering if it went or could go after the prefilters but before the membrane. But makes it all easier if its before the prefilters anyways.

One can just forget the auto-shutoff switch and simply unplug the unit when I turn my R/O off, correct?

hillegom
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Funky Fish14 see this link, bottom of page for the diagram

Powertec
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
The only problem with the diagrams is my low pressure switch only has one outlet which i have a feeling is for a tank...Which i don't have so there is no where to put it as water can't make it out the other side..
Grrr i have never been so frustrated in my entire life..

hillegom
04-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Ok then, the low presure switch will most likely just turn on the pump when the pressure is low enough. Not having an el. diagram for this I am not positive about that, but it is the low pressure switch so it has to go into the low pressure side.
Therefore, put a tee in the low pressure line, with the straight through in line with the tubing. Attach the low pressure switch to the 90 degree part of the T
good to go

Funky_Fish14
04-30-2009, 06:22 AM
I know this doesnt really help with the hookup - but I just received my pump in the mail yesterday or the day before. My dad ended up ordering it and the transformer off Ebay. I hooked it up today, between the water supply and the pre-filters. It sure gives the output a big boost! I run my R/O membranes in parrallel (well, the waste from the first 50gpd membrane goes into the second 50gpd membrane - and this waste is tossed), and it seems like I have ALMOST a 1:1 ratio of good to waste water. Its unreal. I havent actually measured it, but my output is much better. A couple drips at first, but then all leaks stopped.

I must say though, the pump is VERY loud, vibrates alot. Anybody have one that is loud too? Im going to re-mount it when I get a chance, but it sounds like a washing machine running.

The R/O unit also still runs fine without the booster pump plugged in yet still hooked up to the water line - so I can get a slow drip from it, like it was before, or plug in to increase the output rate.

So again, anyone have a loud one? My mom will poop herself if she hears this in the house...

Sorry if this is a hijack.. but the pump does run really well, and improve performance significantly!

Cheers,

Chris

hillegom
04-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Funky fish14 does your pump run all the time when plugged in? It should have a pressure switch shutoff so that when the input line pressure gets to say as an example, 60 psi, then the pump shuts itself off. If it runs all the time, it will be working too hard and self destruct before its time.

Funky_Fish14
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Wouldnt the pressure constantly/repeatedly drop though? I mean, being on a well, the pressure from it bounces between 28psi and about 55psi. I would only have the pump on while filling the tank, and shut it off once it is full. I would think if the pump had a shut-off, it will be on/off/on/off every few seconds to maintain a constant psi reading?

I am simply filling a 60g polyeurethane bin... no pressure tank on the other side. The pump would only be on while the tank is being filled, I'd shut it off manually when the bin is full.

hillegom
05-01-2009, 03:04 AM
With your two ro systems, (don't know about the life of your sec. membrane doing this),you are making about 100gpd with about say, 60 psi. (don't know the psi the membrane manufacturer uses to calculate gpd)
100gpd divided by 24 hrs means that you get about 2 gals per hour. The pump you are useing pumps way more than that and has what top pressure? So it is working very hard to keep its top pressure and making a lot of noise.
As power tec has it, there is a high pressure shutoff and a low pressure turn on for the pump. This will let all your components in the system last longer and not be overpressured.
Your well pump turns on at 28 psi and off at 55 psi. Your add on pump for the ro will bring your pressure higher so that the ro membrane can operate efficiently. How high does your pump keep the pressure?
What I read on the net, the booster pump should bring up the pressure to 70-80 psi to keep the maximum efficiency on the ro membrane.