PDA

View Full Version : Cowfish and powerheads

my2rotties
04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Anybody have a long horned cowfish? What kind of powerheads are you running? Can they tolerate high flow, or do they prefer slow movement? What size of tank do you have and what kind of fish do you have with your cowfish? Do they tend to like the top or bottom of the tank to stay in? Do you target feed or does the fish do well on its own? What do they like to eat over anything else? Do you have a cleaner wrasse? If so how well do the two of them do together since this is a scaleless fish?

I do know they are toxic and can bomb and tank easily. I did do my homework on this already. It just never mentioned the flow rates they like and personal experience is always best when doing research.

If you have one or had one... how long have you had it for? If you had one and it died, how long did you have it and what was the cause of death?

Is your cowfish are little guy or a larger specimen? Did you get the fish larger or smaller and how much has it gown and how fast has it grown?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Leah
04-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I had one for about a week, got it from Petcetera and it died. He was the size of a quarter. He was cute and he did nothing to my tank when he died. I was sad as he
was peaceful and very sweet. I would say they prefer low flow only from observing
mine. Maybe it was his size though.

my2rotties
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I have ehard that the little tiny cowfish do not usually survive... If you get a bigger specimen they tend to do much better. Thing is you don't see the bigger guys that much these days.

tgoeujon
04-18-2009, 08:44 PM
i had one for about 2 months, he ate every softie in my tank. didnt seem to mind the flow from 3 k3s in a 55 gallon. he got highly stressed from my powder brown chasing him around and i luckily qted him before he nuked the tank. lots of personality though

my2rotties
04-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I have two K700 and one K500... I had the cowfish in my 90g acclimating tank, and now I put him in my display. I shut of one of the powerheads to let him get used to the flow in the tank. He is a large cowfish and eats from our hands and is doing fantastic. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any issues with these things prior to adding him to my display. I had him on hold at the LFS for a few weeks to ensure his health and WOW he is awesome.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/my2rotties/april007.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/my2rotties/april005.jpg

If anyone has info to share please do... I have waiting for a cowfish like this to be available for over a year... I did my home work but also like to share. I know a lot about them already since my friend has a giant cowfish named George... what an awesome fish. As for the softies let him have them... as long as he is happy...

Key Equine
04-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Very cool fish! I would love to have a cute little cowfish, but that'll never happen... They are so awesome though! Such personality!

my2rotties
04-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Norman (the cowfish) is very interactive and intelligent. If you ever saw George at Elite, he comes to you when you call him (if he knows you), and is by the far the most awesome fish I have ever seen. George is 8-9 years old and Colby has had him since he was the size of a quarter or less.

Norman had personality galore and I am so glad to have him.

Very cool fish! I would love to have a cute little cowfish, but that'll never happen... They are so awesome though! Such personality!