PDA

View Full Version : Green Star Polyp

Chad
06-25-2003, 04:21 AM
I have been looking at some peoples GSP photos and realized that mine do not extend nearly as far. I am wondering what conditions most of you have yours around, for example. High current... etc...

Thanks for your help..

Chad

AJ_77
06-25-2003, 05:20 AM
Lower current, moderate light, 79.5 F, 1.026 SG, tank is in the basement - faces west. Photoperiod is 12 hrs PCs and 13 hrs supplemental.

Tank is a lagoonal/LPS sort of thing, which means its a little ripe.
:biggrin:

smokinreefer
06-25-2003, 06:50 AM
FWIW i have found my GSP spread faster in moderate to high water flow.

before my tank crash i had some GSP (briarium sp.) that grew very slowly for a year then all of a sudden went buck wild for a couple months spreading very quickly.

Chad
06-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Lower current, moderate light, 79.5 F, 1.026 SG, tank is in the basement - faces west. Photoperiod is 12 hrs PCs and 13 hrs supplemental.

Tank is a lagoonal/LPS sort of thing, which means its a little ripe.
:biggrin:

Do you find they need to be "wavying" in the current? I had it in a higher current and they came out once or twice.. then I moved it to a lower current and it is out more but not fully extended..

Chad

kari
06-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I ignored my GSP and then put sand and rock on top. Seems happier now. That reminds me, its time to cut the grass.

Doug
06-25-2003, 01:00 PM
http://reefcentral.com/totm/2001-04

The above link is the only pic left of my former tank. You can see the star polyps have climbed the acrylic overflows. The mother rock on the right was encrusted in several layers of mat & polyps, some places several inches thick.

The secret for me was always good light, from at least 250w halides. Most of that growth came from under a combo of a 400 & normal output bulbs and then a 400 plus a pair of 175w 10K bulbs.

I agree with Shao, as mine always loved good water flow. They looked limp and not healthy under less.

Star polyps also consume decent amounts of calcium, so attention should be paid to proper levels.

sumpfinfishe
06-25-2003, 02:14 PM
IMO-My GSP always do better in medium to high flow areas of my reef.
I have a 27gl with NO lighting and my GSP are placed on the sandbed, so I have found that light is not a major factor. I once moved some GSP to a low flow area and the polyp extensions where not as positive.

JFYI-I place the GSP on the sandbed so they can't spread as fast and take over my entire reef. I have seen GSP and green button polyps take over entire tanks, which at first may seem :cool:, but then you will be needing more room for other corals too!

Chad-I will also get back to you later today on the green and orange buttons.

cheers, Rich

Chad
06-25-2003, 05:35 PM
IMO-My GSP always do better in medium to high flow areas of my reef.
I have a 27gl with NO lighting and my GSP are placed on the sandbed, so I have found that light is not a major factor. I once moved some GSP to a low flow area and the polyp extensions where not as positive.

So far I agree.. since they are out but not a whole lot.

JFYI-I place the GSP on the sandbed so they can't spread as fast and take over my entire reef. I have seen GSP and green button polyps take over entire tanks, which at first may seem :cool:, but then you will be needing more room for other corals too!

:lol: I have no doubt. I have seen some pretty crazy pictures. But they are a really beautiful coral.

Chad-I will also get back to you later today on the green and orange buttons.

cheers, Rich

Sounds great...

Chad

Chad
06-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.. I will try and move it around and see what happens.

Chad