PDA

View Full Version : 3 Months since "the crash"

paddyob
04-17-2009, 11:53 PM
.WELL LONG STORY SHORT... My tank crashed in January and it was horrible. i lost all my fish and a good deal of coral. Black Friday. I am at peace with it now and i just added my first ever anemone. i am running a nicely set 20 Gallon reef. 25 lbs Of live rock. live sand. green bubble tip. red frogspawn. kenya tree. green star polyps. assorted zoos and palys. pipe organ. green sinularia. azure damsel. Striped, jewel damsel. CUC.hot magnum.Aqua clear mini w/surfaceSkim and rio nano skim

paddyob
04-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Tomorrow i am going to find some clownfish. probably Tomato Clowns. get a small pair that hopefully will like the little bubble tip anemone And leave my frogspawn Alone. we will see.

Myka
04-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Got pics? :D My silly True Perc couldn't give a darn about the 10" RBTA I put in the tank about 3 weeks ago...go figure.

I think you would be overstocking if you put two Tomatoes in there along with the two Damsels. Albeit, I always stock on the lighter side because it saves a lot of headache. ;)

paddyob
04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Stocking should be ok. i over filter already and do regular maintenance and tests. the tank was almost three before the crash. i have not any updated pics but ill figure out how to post them in the next bit.

Myka
04-18-2009, 01:03 AM
:lol: Famous last words. I wouldn't say you are over filtering either. I only have 3 fish in my 33g, and coincidentally I have never had any nitrate issues. :)

bignose
04-18-2009, 02:19 AM
wow your tank looks great!

paddyob
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
:lol: Famous last words. I wouldn't say you are over filtering either. I only have 3 fish in my 33g, and coincidentally I have never had any nitrate issues. :)

My tank crash was due to my having to move to a new home. my tank never has any detectable nitrate. nitrite . or ammonia. stocking is only a problem if you really pick fish that are not compatible or suitable for the tank. in my opinion. everyone has had different experiences.

paddyob
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I am currently acclimatizing my Clowns. i could not find tomato clowns but i did find wild caught ocellaris Clowns. aquarium enthusiasts Had some. great looking fish. i picked the two most perfect and cant wait to get them in the tank. hope they like my bubble tip!

bignose
04-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Pics?

paddyob
04-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Damsels removed. mean f'rs. Anyone want them. cheap ha ha.

paddyob
04-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Nothing like trying to put your live rock back in the tank. Clowns are doing good. looked at the bubble tip. tried going in but appears possibly need time to build slime coat for this anemone As were very timid to approach it. anyone know about how clowns take to them ?

bignose
04-19-2009, 03:47 AM
I'll put them in my tank paddyob.. Just kidding.

paddyob
04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Well day two of the clowns. both looking great. they are similar in size so seem to be facing off now and then. trying to become dominant i assume. no real fighting just kinda charging. one is a really bright orange and the other is slightly lighter in color... being bright orange with a bit yellow influence, if you know what i mean. hopefully pics later today. have not yet hosted to the anemone... or the frogspawn For that matter (Which is good)

paddyob
04-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Well the purple hornets Have really not opened today. bits of yellow poking out. but no sign of much else. hope they settle in. my other zoos do well so they should. they came in a little rough but was assured they should be ok. hope so for a pricey frag.

paddyob
04-22-2009, 02:01 PM
The bubble tip went for a stroll. i had to do some rearranging. "stan" (ha ha) has now found a nice place and has been there two days. too bad its in a crevice. let it settle. only had him two weeks. damsels are gone and the clowns seem to have figured out the "pecking order" and go everywhere together now.

paddyob
04-26-2009, 06:30 AM
The bubble tip moved again. sat on my shiny red palys. bugger. moved on and looks ok. not sure where its headed but glad my first anemone Is only two inches across. moved the green sinularia To give it a wider Berth. hornets Have been dipped twice and seems like less fungus but time will tell. im panicking that it could transfer and my other tank is only 2.5 Gallon with 18 Watts. dont think that is enough light.

paddyob
04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Did some maintenance on the tank last night. had a minimal Nh3 reading but all other levels great. it has taken alot of diligence to get my Ca To above 400 and keep my Kh at 180-200. i test and dose both (ca one day kh the next) without missing a day. i had to dose both at about 3 Times the recommended dose to get it there. anything less and it never moved. tank looks good clowns are happy and my Rio is skimming like crazy (I run it a week at a time as my tank is picky)

paddyob
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
The anemone Has moved a few times so i added a little more flow to see if it settles him. he sat on my red palys And my red zoos (i think he likes red) but does not seem to have bothered them too much. he is opening very well and growing. the clowns seem to watch it but have not hosted yet... but at least still ignoring my beautifly splitting red frog spawn. i had to move my green sinularia To a new location (and despite its slow growth rate) does well everywhere in the tank.