PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI question

C&C
06-24-2003, 03:21 PM
I am looking at purchasing a RO/DI unit.

I am planning on drinking this water as well, I have heard that if I am going to drink the water I should skip the DI....any truth to this. If so why?

What would be the consequences of not running DI for my reef??

Any suggestions as to where to get a good reliable unit from, I have heard a lot about ebay selling them cheaply, but I have also heard that you are getting what you pay for. Any comments?

Thanks

Chris

Chad
06-24-2003, 03:28 PM

I am planning on drinking this water as well, I have heard that if I am going to drink the water I should skip the DI....any truth to this. If so why?

The DI will removed all minerals etc from the water. Your body needs the minerals. Most of the time they tell you to not have the DI if you have a really poor diet and don't replace the minerals you'd lose from the water. I may be wrong on this but its my understanding.

You want a DI unit for your reef because you want 100% pure water. No extra junk to mess up the state of your tank. Your salt mix will re-introduce all the needed minerals into the water.

I use the RO/DI from the ebay seller, Aquasafe. I love the unit. no problems whatsoever. IMHO

Chad

robbyville
06-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Chris,

I have not herad that much about not drinking the DI portion, but we do!

I bought a system from Jayson at Saltwater connection and am very happy with it as well. At the same time I have heard some great things about the ebay seller from Vancouver, although he will not sell outside of ebay over the counter the prices are reasonable and shipping would be minimalized. Just remember to go right to a 50gpd or higher (I wish I had just spent the money for a 100gpd)

Good luck,

Rob

Beverly
06-24-2003, 08:30 PM

What would be the consequences of not running DI for my reef??

Any suggestions as to where to get a good reliable unit from

Chris,

We've run an RO unit for our reefs for as many years as we've had them and have nothing bad to say about using RO. Use it for drinking, too.

Since we have three nanos and a 42 gal, the 24 gpd Kent unit from J&L works well for us:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ro-kbb024

newgeek
06-24-2003, 10:43 PM
DI water just tastes bad also, I had a friend make me a system that I use for drinking and the tank, the water for the tank goes through the di and to a bucket and drinking water bypasses the di to the fridge and faucet. A simple and seemingly brilliant solution for a multi purpose system. I can probably get you a system like mine if you are interested .... pm me.

Aquattro
06-24-2003, 10:45 PM
DI water just tastes bad also.

I've never had a problem with taste drinking DI water. :razz:

StirCrazy
06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
I drink my RO/DI all the time.. it doesent tast bad it just tasts like nothing... if your DI tasts bad I would get it checked as that means it is imparting something to the water that it shouldent.

Steve

Chad
06-25-2003, 12:01 AM
I drink my RO/DI all the time.. it doesent tast bad it just tasts like nothing... if your DI tasts bad I would get it checked as that means it is imparting something to the water that it shouldent.

Steve

Yup... RO/DI is tastless.. which is good.. or bad.. depending how you look at it.. maybe the lack of "taste" makes him think it tastes bad.

Chad

newgeek
06-25-2003, 05:43 AM
I guess I should clarify; di water seems dry, flavorless and not very refreshing like non-di water. Hmmm how to explain it better, it is not because there is something in it that should not be I have it tested monthly and all checks out A.O.K. In the end it is just my opinion and I think vegetables taste crappy too! So I guess it is quite subjective.
Have a great night everyone,
Kelly

Chad
06-25-2003, 06:50 AM
I guess I should clarify; di water seems dry, flavorless and not very refreshing like non-di water. Hmmm how to explain it better, it is not because there is something in it that should not be I have it tested monthly and all checks out A.O.K. In the end it is just my opinion and I think vegetables taste crappy too! So I guess it is quite subjective.
Have a great night everyone,
Kelly

Like I said, its the lack of taste... We are so accustomed to tasting our water.. its hard to get away from it.