PDA

View Full Version : clam nipper???

christyf5
04-17-2009, 03:54 AM
I first noticed it about 3-4 days ago. Its gotten to the point where the clams remain mostly closed for a goodly part of the day (or a goodly part of the day that I'm looking at them). I've moved them over fro the spot they were in, thinking it might be my royal gramma who never strays far from "his rock" on the right hand side of the tank. The clams are more towards the middle and well away from the rock so he doesn't go over that way. However, they're pretty bad and not really getting any better, not that they would miraculously heal in the 2 days that its been since I moved them but still...

Oddly enough, they're open in the evenings, usually when I'm on the computer. So I'm starting to suspect other fish. They know when I'm in the room, they do their little "feed me" dances and are trying to catch my attention. Currently, I'm looking heavily at the scopas tang who seems to be fascinated with them in an "I don't care" sort of way. Lots of drive bys, stops for points of interests but no nips when I'm looking. These poor clams are badly nipped. Well 2 of the 3 are pretty bad, one seems to be holding its own and is open more often than the others.

Anyway, I did have a point/question here. Has anyone had or heard of a scopas tang nipping at clams? I thought they were herbivores? Granted, most of my fish are a little on the odd side so this wouldn't be a shocker.

Other fish in the tank include:

powder blue, regal, bangaii, tailspot wrasse, 2 vanderbilts chromis, candy hogfish, pygmy hawkfish

If this continues I'm seriously looking at finding a temporary clamsitter clams until they either heal or something. I'm starting to wonder if nipped clams aren't sending out some sort of "I'm tasty and delicious" beacon to whoever is eating them. I have 2 other clams in the tank that are completely unharmed, one is right next to the three that are being snacked on.

ok I'll shut up now :razz:

Delphinus
04-17-2009, 04:16 AM
None of those fish scream to me "I'm a clam nipper" but I guess anyone can do it if they get the idea those things are good eatin's. Can you make them an eggcrate sheild for temporary stop gap measure?

msobon
04-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Keep an eye out on the powder blue ;)

christyf5
04-17-2009, 04:25 AM
None of those fish scream to me "I'm a clam nipper" but I guess anyone can do it if they get the idea those things are good eatin's. Can you make them an eggcrate sheild for temporary stop gap measure?

No, I have like zero room for that sort of thing. The tank is stuffed ridiculously full these days. Sending them to a different home is looking like the answer for now.

I'll keep an eye on the PBT, for the most part he sort of sticks to the upper watercolumn but he is a fast little bugger so you never know :wink:

fishytime
04-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Regal? Mine has a taste for lps. He too does that *whistles a happy tune* Im just lookin for algae....yeah....algae, drive by type passes over my remaining lps. Then he promptly takes a bite and swims away with a halo round his head.

Borderjumper
04-17-2009, 05:04 AM
do you have peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp? I had a clam that was looking nipped.. I founf after lights out the shrimps were coming out and dining on it. I took the shrimp out, and the clam healed right up.

Drock169
04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
agreed it seems that inverts are more likely considering your fish.

christyf5
04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
do you have peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp? I had a clam that was looking nipped.. I founf after lights out the shrimps were coming out and dining on it. I took the shrimp out, and the clam healed right up.

my tailspot wrasse makes a fast meal of anything even resembling a shrimp (well or any other mobile invert for that matter, brittlestars know better to stick an arm out of the rockwork when the lights are on :wink:)

I'll have a look at the regal, he didn't seem as interested as the scopas today. I think I'm also going to inquire about a babysitter today. I'm really worried about a couple of them that aren't opening. How are they getting their energy supply? Or for that matter, how are they getting enough water supply with being closed for a goodly portion of the day? I noticed also last night that one has a few pale spots on it, almost like its bleaching. I'm not sure if that is a sign of poor health or what but its almost like they're trying to tell me something.

Bloody clams! Why do you have to be so beautiful yet such a pain in my arse!!?? :razz:

Bugsy
04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
The wrasse or hawkfish "might" be an issue the only reason I say this is that some friends of mine have a hawkfish and it totally destroyed their open brain and then started on the clam. Just a suggestion.

:biggrin:

Tom R
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I noticed also last night that one has a few pale spots on it, almost like its bleaching. I'm not sure if that is a sign of poor health or what but its almost like they're trying to tell me something.

Bloody clams! Why do you have to be so beautiful yet such a pain in my arse!!?? :razz:

Hi Christy

Since Christmas 2 of my clams developed the same symptoms (pale or bleached out spots). Both died within a short time and I do not know what got them. I had them both for 4 or 5 years with absolutely no problems. I tried moving them to areas of better light and more flow, however it didn't help.

Good Luck let me know how it goes.

Tom R

Snappy
04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Christy I had a regal tang that was a model citizen for years and then last year it decided it liked clams and killed 7 of them including a 8" gigas. I would view it as a suspect.