PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about Blue World...

raisemyrent
04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I was there yesterday and noticed a few things that kinda upset me... I wish I hadn't gone before I buy the whole bunch of LR I will need for my 33 gal, but anyways:

they had a whole bunch of new corals, but I think 2 out of their 3 display tanks had... AIPTASIA! I MAY be wrong, but I doubt it... some of it was growing right into the corals... I was going to get a frag, but now I am paranoid that it lives in the water...

lots of fish, but not what I was looking for... as far as the LR goes, it seems to me that it is rock that they seed... it has very foamy and circular shapes... who knows... it does look fully cured, because there's hardly anything on it... so I am debating wether I should buy all of that for my 33 or not anymore...

last but not elast, I overheard something about the owner moving to Victoria... so sounds like we may lose a store...

anyhow, feel free to throw in your comments, and recommend to me where to get LR ;)

Snaz
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Every LFS I have walked into has Aptasia somewhere. I mean the stuff is natural, it's just a nuisance in an aquarium.

Hi,

I was there yesterday and noticed a few things that kinda upset me... I wish I hadn't gone before I buy the whole bunch of LR I will need for my 33 gal, but anyways:

they had a whole bunch of new corals, but I think 2 out of their 3 display tanks had... AIPTASIA! I MAY be wrong, but I doubt it... some of it was growing right into the corals... I was going to get a frag, but now I am paranoid that it lives in the water...

lots of fish, but not what I was looking for... as far as the LR goes, it seems to me that it is rock that they seed... it has very foamy and circular shapes... who knows... it does look fully cured, because there's hardly anything on it... so I am debating wether I should buy all of that for my 33 or not anymore...

last but not elast, I overheard something about the owner moving to Victoria... so sounds like we may lose a store...

anyhow, feel free to throw in your comments, and recommend to me where to get LR ;)

MadCow
04-19-2009, 02:24 AM
Micheal and his family will be moving to BC, either Van or Victoria this summer, as one of their daughters are goining to go to post secondary school out there.

-MC

fencer
04-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Does this mean Blue World is closing it doors?

parkinsn
04-19-2009, 05:39 AM
From what i have heard blue world has contacted some people to sell his store but he has no offers. And yes it is true that he will be moving to Van City or something to that effect.

Scythanith
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM

If they were new corals they just recieved than it is unlikely that the aptasia magically appeared on the corals since they were put into the stores tanks. The aptasia was most likely on the coral before it reached the store. Does that make it ok, well no. But it easily could have been contracted into the coral or live rock somewhere due to transport stress & handling, and was missed when the corals were added to the system. You could always point it out to the owner and they could give the little buggers a squirt of something nasty to try and clean them off.

Like Snaz said, they are a part or reef keeping, and will someday rear their ugle heads in your tank. But good on ya for keeping an eye out for them and trying to not introduce them in the first place.

As for the live rock, when it makes it's way to central Canada, in the middle of winter... it's not highly likely a lot of the macro fauna survived on the exterior of the rock. There is however a good chance that the micro fauna within the rock survived and it will still be highly beneficial to your tanks well being. Don't worry, things will grow as long as you provide clean water and practice good patience (ie. not too many fish too soon, etc.).

Hope that helps,
Scott

paddyob
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I do not have a single Aptasia In my tank. at one point i was using joe's Juice but they would always come back. i added a peppermint Shrimp and he cleaned it right up. unfortunately he did not live afterwards as would not take frozen food. if you choose things with the least amount of the little buggers you should be able to control them. once you let them go, its too late. early controlling is the only way. all LFS Have some. the best stores have the least(usually) and well you know the rest

BlueWorldAquatic
06-20-2009, 02:07 AM
I can say there wasn't a major aptasia problem in the tanks, but due to a new in store employee (Copper Banded Butterfly), we can honestly say without a doubt that it is a minimal issue now. The incoming live rock will be processed for as much clingers before sold.

Ken
Blue World Aquatic

paddyob
06-21-2009, 01:30 AM
I was there last weekend, and if it was an issue, i never even noticed. try looking at the tanks at big al's or aqua giant. now there is an issue. all stores have it. cant get around some aiptasia Here and there. its ocean stuff. natural. just not desirable.