PDA

View Full Version : Nano Tank Contest #2 Poll: Categories

christyf5
04-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Just checking interest for fun, I have 16 mins till my timer goes off and I have to do more work junk :razz:

FYI, poll is multiple choice!! :)

JDigital
04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I voted both customs and other which I think should be 30G or smaller... There is a entire forum devoted to Nano Tanks, and 30G (or smaller) is definitely considered a Nano.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't have voted if I'm not participating.. :lol:

christyf5
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah I get that, IMO nano tanks are a challenge due to small water volume. I don't really see anything larger than a 20 gallon as much of a challenge, in that way, of course theres the rest of the "fun" that goes along with reef tanks in general :wink: Thats just me tho.:biggrin:

ElGuappo
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
i voted for all the limited cash options as there are people out there with more money and resources than others. Also i think a 20-25 G catagory may spark more interest.

Trigger Man
04-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I think a 30g or so contest would be a great idea.

michika
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I also really like the 30g option, however, I didn't read the posts before I voted...my bad. So 1+ on the other 30g option please.

tgoeujon
04-16-2009, 01:30 AM
20 gallon sounds like it could be kinda fun:biggrin:

Myka
04-16-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm probably only interested in a 5.5 unlimited budget, or a custom around the same size unlimited budget.

Wait a sec...is this budget we're voting on just for equipment or livestock too? If it's just for equipment my vote would be different. So I think I might have messed up there...

christyf5
04-16-2009, 03:36 AM
limited budget means there will be a cap on livestock/equipment

unlimited, well fill yer boots.

:biggrin:

What is up with you people and voting?? :razz:

Myka
04-16-2009, 03:38 AM
I thought it was pretty much decided on that livestock wasn't going to be limited, and there was debate on whether the equipment would be limited?

christyf5
04-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Beats me, that wasn't the case when I set up the poll. People keep changing their minds.

As I have it set now, the "limited" part means limited for both equipment and livestock.

brizzo
04-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Vote for Other:

"Custom 5.5g, w/sump max 10g, unlimited budget"

:mrgreen:

Myka
04-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Vote for Other:

"Custom 5.5g, w/sump max 10g, unlimited budget"

+1 I would be interested in this one too.

justinl
04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't see the point in set volumes. give em a budget (equipment and livestock) and let them go at it; if they choose a larger size, their livestock budget takes a dent; if a smaller volume is chosen, more goes into livestock. I say let each contestant weigh the pros/cons of their choice.

Binare
04-18-2009, 01:24 AM
I don't see the point in set volumes. give em a budget (equipment and livestock) and let them go at it; if they choose a larger size, their livestock budget takes a dent; if a smaller volume is chosen, more goes into livestock. I say let each contestant weigh the pros/cons of their choice.

I agree

JDigital
04-18-2009, 02:53 AM

You gotta at least have a max volume, otherwise we might as well enter our tank builds..

If its a nano contest, you gotta have nano tanks. :lol: (>30G IMO)

Ron99
04-18-2009, 04:22 AM
You gotta at least have a max volume, otherwise we might as well enter our tank builds..

If its a nano contest, you gotta have nano tanks. :lol: (>30G IMO)

I agree. Set a max volume and max budget and then unleash the hounds. Sorry, I think I am repeating myself in these various threads :redface:

lorenz0
04-18-2009, 04:52 AM
already have my idea brewing. just waiting for the go now

michika
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I strongly disagree with the set limit that 30g and under makes a nano....

christyf5
04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
What do you mean by that Catherine?? I'm of the mind that it should really be 20g or less if thats what you mean?

lorenz0
04-19-2009, 07:35 PM

If you start getting into the 40gal - 60gal range equipment takes a huge toll on your budget. Hell my 60 gal has over $2500 in equipment alone. Personally i want to keep it around the $500-600 for everything

justinl
04-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, that's true as well... Maybe a max of 30g? of course, then term "nano" has never had any real definition but over 25g falls in to the "normal" tank range. jmo. Mind you, I don't think anyone in their right mind would attempt to win the contest with a tank any bigger than 20-30g. the equipment alone would cost too much after that; then you have to figure out how to make a reduced budget for livestock cover even more space in the tank... sort of a double whammy. One must be very strategic when picking out a volume depending on the given budget, whether or not a max volume is given.

michika
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I just mean that everyone keeps saying that "20g" is the set in stone limit on what a nano is. Its just bad wording, and 20g isn't the be all end all of it. I'm just saying I wish people would stop saying that this and that (regardless of what we're talking about) is the set in stone final word. Specify what you mean, but when people start saying that their opinion is the final word, it kills the fun. Nobody knows it all, nobody can know it all, and I think being careful in our wording is a better solution for it all.

P.S. Thank you to the extra classy person who sent me that lovely PM. You know who you are, and really and opinon is an opinion, everyone has one, everyone is entitled to one, and nobody's is more important or more valid then another's.

As for a total volume I would say that we'll all probably hit 40-50g once to account for sumps, water volume in skimmers, etc. Although I know we said we wouldn't be counting those things.

Binare
04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
When I agreed in the last page I meant I agree to no limit to volume, within reason... If everyone agreed(won't happen) that 30 gallons (example only) was the limit for a nano. Then an unlimited and limited budget category would work great. Just can't go past that volume. Not to chap anyones bum by no means but I personally don't think of nano when I hear of tanks hitting the 40+ mark.

sphelps
04-20-2009, 06:46 PM
P.S. Thank you to the extra classy person who sent me that lovely PM. You know who you are, and really and opinon is an opinion, everyone has one, everyone is entitled to one, and nobody's is more important or more valid then another's.

Wasn't me :lol:

Everyone needs to remember this is a discussion thread and nothing should be taken as final until the person running the contest decides to. State your ideas and opinions and even back them up with reasoning but remember to stay friends at the end :mrgreen:

From most the literature I've seen a nano seems to be 20 gallons or less. Once you start getting bigger than that it starts to turn into a tank contest as appose to a nano contest. Also most nanos don't usually run sumps so the way I see it if you run a sump you have to still keep total volume below 20 gallons to remain in the nano category.

christyf5
04-20-2009, 06:47 PM
What I was thinking is that the display be a max of 20 and whatever size was chosen they could double their water volume. Either that or max watervolume total (disregarding skimmers/external overflows as long as they aren't crazy) would be 40 gallons.

ElGuappo
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
i think the most important thing is the budget to be set in stone. as far as volume goes i agree with a having a sump equal or less to the display size. also if building costum i think the cost of glass and wood should be part of the budget in order to keep things fair for those who arnt as handy dandy as others. therfore they may not have as nice of a stand/ canopy , but they may have extra budget for things like uv filters etc.

lorenz0
04-21-2009, 02:22 AM
christy you should just write up the rules on the starting day, and who is interested will be in the contest

lol i am just looking for a reason to start up my 20 again

Ron99
04-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Sorry if you felt that we were trying to impose our wills on this. I think everybody was just putting forth their opinions for this next contest. In the end somebody will have to decide on the final criteria (I assume Christy, if she is going to run the competition, will do that) and then we can all work within those guidelines.

StirCrazy
04-21-2009, 02:48 AM

so do I, but I guess this is just another contest I won't be entering as once again it will be for people who want to set up disposable tanks.

Steve

christyf5
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Well Steve, from your lofty position up there you probably shouldn't be one of those people who set up a tank just to enter a contest either :rolleyes:

christyf5
04-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah I'm thinking I'll just read through everyones opinions, pick out the good ones :razz: and go from there. Do we the rules posted prior to the starting day or should it be a shotgun start?

Ron99
04-21-2009, 03:31 AM
so do I, but I guess this is just another contest I won't be entering as once again it will be for people who want to set up disposable tanks.

Steve

Steve, I'm not sure why you say that the tanks will be disposable. I plan on doing a pico for my desk. I am going to be doing it anyhow so it might be fun to do it as part of the contest. It is definitely not disposable as I want it there for a long time.

I don't think superduperwesman's 10G Plate Coral Nano from the first competition is disposable either. That's alot of work for something he planned to take down after the contest.

Sorry, not trying to be confrontational but I just think it is a bit unfair to judge people's intentions here.

JDigital
04-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Things that need to be determined.

- Max Display Size
- Max Water Volume
- Equipment Budget (included: everything for the "build".. Tank, Stand, Skimmer, Lights, pumps, plumbing, etc)
- Standard tanks or Custom tanks (or both?)
- Monthly guidelines (if any)
- Limited or Unlimited Livestock Budget
- Categories for people to compete in. (Best ****, Best %%%%%, Best ###)

My input:

- Max Display Size - 30G
- Max Water Volume - 40G
- Equipment Budget (included: everything for the "build".. Tank, Stand, Skimmer, Lights, pumps, plumbing, etc) - Yes
- Standard tanks or Custom tanks (or both?) - Both, but have separate categories for voting
- Monthly guidelines (if any) - FTS required anytime in the month, or when new livestock is added
- Limited or Unlimited Livestock Budget - Unlimited

Myka
04-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Steve

If I enter to contest my tank will be "disposable". I will return the corals to my main tank, and tear down the contest nano so I can take part in the next one too! :D I can't have 50 million nanos just for the sake of not "disposing" of them. I'm already on the fence whether I should take part in this contest because I have enough tanks as it is.

I've already said it in that other thread, but imo a nano is 20 gallons or less. The stock tank categories are interesting because they put a lot of emphasis on livestock selection and aquascaping. I liked that about the first nano contest...although some people took advantage of the [lack of defined] rules. I REALLY think livestock should not have a budget as I believe in the last contest that several of the participants had corals in their tanks that grossly out-valued what was recorded in their budget.

In order to make it as painless as possible on you Christy, I think you either need to set out many clearly defined rules with few possibilities for loopholes, or set very few rules, and let people give'r. You are a brave woman after seeing what Josh went through!!! :eek:

StirCrazy
04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Well Steve, from your lofty position up there you probably shouldn't be one of those people who set up a tank just to enter a contest either :rolleyes:

not lofty at all, I am setting up a new tank, which I concider a nano, but it will use a 28 gal main and a 28 gal sump. so contest or no contest mine is getting built. just thought it would be fun to do it as part of the contest. No worries though I can watch from the sidelines.

Steve

StirCrazy
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry, not trying to be confrontational but I just think it is a bit unfair to judge people's intentions here.

Don't worry about being confentational:mrgreen:

yes there will be people who will keep them running, but I do believe the majority of them will be short lived.

the real problem comes in as there is no clear definition of what a nano is. I believe a nano is anything under 33 gal, but that could be because I have never had a tank set up under 92 gal in salt water and 20 gal in fresh water (Betta tank)

Some one who has only had 180's or larger might think a 55 is a Nano.
where as some one who has only had 33's and 20's would think a 5 or less is a nanno, so it all comes down to who can impose there will forcefully enough to decide what a nanno should be.

I just felt we already had a Nanno contest, why don't we have a large nanno/medium tank contest with a little more time for the build and a little more budget for equipment to allow for some nice tanks to be built.

Steve

Binare
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Steve

Over the last 10 years, I've never had a system over 25 gallons including the one running in my office now for 4 years... Never thought of any of my tanks as disposable.

sphelps
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm building a new tank to but it's around 100gallons so can you make that the limit for the contest? :lol: When will the madness end, you can't adjust the rules of the contest so one contender gets to use something he already has. If it works out great, if not get over it.

I've never seen a 33 gallon nano, it's a 3 foot tank and people put tangs in them, since when do you keep such fish in a nano? If you make the volume range too big the unlimited livestock becomes somewhat of a joke. I think the smaller volume of total 20gal or less is key to making this work.

Ron99
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
It all comes down to people's own definitions and it can be hard to reach consensus on things like what makes a nano. I spend alot of time on nano-reef.com and it seems that over there anything up to a 34 gallon red sea max is considered a nano. I think once you start getting into sumps etc. you are kind of getting out of what a nano is about; a small self contained bit of reef or ocean.

This is of course my opinion only and I am happy to entertain other people's thoughts and experiences on it. In the end somebody else will make the call on the rules for the contest. Hopefully they will have found this debate useful and will take into account the input we have all made to come up with something reasonable. And hopefully we can all be satisfied with the outcome. There will undoubtably be some who end up not getting what they want but c'est la vie, non?

Ron99
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Steve,

I am sure you are correct that some tanks will be taken down and some will live on. As long as people aren't throwing out their livestock and just putting it all back in a larger display I guess that is okay. I think the nicer nanos with a better shot at winning will be the ones that are intended to last and will therefor probably have more effort put into them.

And if you want a larger tank contest why not organize that yourself? I am now probably going to set up a 50 or 65 gallon tank as well so maybe I'll be into that too :smile:

justinl
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
...okay, see now this is why i think a max budget with no max volume would be a good idea. I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to seriously win this thing while budgeting for a tank over 20g or so anyways; certainly not over 30g, and that's pushing it. It also doesn't technically exclude anyone from entering the contest... so no ruffled feathers. It also allows any sized sump one could want... just have to budget for it. personally my definition of a nano only includes the display, not the sump (unless it is used for display purposes); stability of a system is just a fail safe and if some one wants to incorporate that into a nano, i say kudos; nanos shouldn't have to be unstable. shrug, jmo.

StirCrazy
04-22-2009, 04:14 AM
you can't adjust the rules of the contest so one contender gets to use something he already has.

not bending any rules, the original post was contest #2, not nano contest #2

Now Christy is pulling her hair out for ever stepping up so no more bickering.. the nano guys are having another contest and thats the end of it.

is your display 100 gal or the whole system volume? I have no problem with a contest allowing different size tanks, do you?

Steve

JDigital
04-23-2009, 12:15 AM
So is any progress being made with this?

christyf5
04-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Progress? No.

Sure, if I'm in charge I can post a thread with the categories that will be happening for NANO contest #2 :biggrin:

JDigital
04-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Progress? No.

Sure, if I'm in charge I can post a thread with the categories that will be happening for NANO contest #2 :biggrin:

Canuckgod420
04-23-2009, 05:44 PM
maybe I missed it, when is this contest gonna start?

JDigital
04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
maybe I missed it, when is this contest gonna start?

June 1 I think.

Rbacchiega
04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
woot woot!

Binare
04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Where would a 12G AIO fit in? If 2G is the 'sump' and it is stock?

christyf5
04-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Where would a 12G AIO fit in? If 2G is the 'sump' and it is stock?

Its part of the custom category. IMO those kinds of tanks are not "stock" anways.

Perhaps I should clarify. A "stock tank" is basically the glass box you get from the store. If you put it together yourself, its custom.

Binare
04-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Ill clarify, it came as an AIO, its a nanocube, its not custom made, its a glass box from a store, didn't put it together

christyf5
04-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Ill clarify, it came as an AIO, its a nanocube, its not custom made, its a glass box from a store, didn't put it together

Right, but its 12 gallons so it has to go in the custom category.

And its not really the glass box I was thinking of. I was talking bare bones tanks, like those little All-Glass tanks you can get for ten or fifteen bucks. Any AIO tank should be in the custom category IMO.

Binare
04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Gotcha, so if I understand correctly a 10G drilled with an overflow and a 10G sump is considered stock? And a 10G display with a with a 2G sump AIO off the shelf with no mods needed is considered custom?

Rbacchiega
04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Right, but its 12 gallons so it has to go in the custom category.

And its not really the glass box I was thinking of. I was talking bare bones tanks, like those little All-Glass tanks you can get for ten or fifteen bucks. Any AIO tank should be in the custom category IMO.

wait...then will the stock 10 gallon I bought that I plan on turning into a shabby AIO be custom then?

Binare
04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
wait...then will the stock 10 gallon I bought that I plan on turning into a shabby AIO be custom then?

If you put it together yourself, its custom.

Any AIO tank should be in the custom category IMO.

I guess so :neutral:

I'm confused by the rules, I can drill, add an overflow and add a sump to a 10G in the stock category, but if its AIO, its custom? Not trying to be a pain but I got a tank that I figured would work based on the rules for 10G Stock. I got a stock tank with a 10G display, 2G sump, under 20G total water volume.

christyf5
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
If you start with a standard tank (such as an all-glass tank), you can do anything to said tank and be included in the 10 gallons or less category as long as the dimensions of that tank make up 10 gallons or less.

If you are buying an AIO tank it is not considered stock. Yes it may be an unmodified tank as AIO tanks go, however the "stock" category is meant to start out as a level playing field. Everyone has the exact same tank (but differently sized depending on what they go with) and they can modify it however they want as long as the glass panels aren't taken apart and put back together.

As far as I'm concerned an "all in one" tank is "pre-customized" and does not fit in this category so it will go in the "custom" category as it is the only other category we have.

christyf5
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Have you read this thread??

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52045

The categories were decided on and this current thread no longer applies.

JDigital
05-01-2009, 01:13 AM
This would be considered a Stock 10G in the contest, which can have a sump/overflow added to it:

http://www.pawscorp.com/images/17965_400wh.jpg

This would be considered a Custom Tank:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-18682-24539-fish-tank.jpg

Right Christy? :lol:

christyf5
05-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Bingo!!

And randi, no your tank would be in the stock category

Binare
05-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Have you read this thread??

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52045

The categories were decided on and this current thread no longer applies.

Yes I have read it... And even voted, my suggestion would be use 'standard' instead of 'stock', they mean completely different things and in this case... I'm assuming 'standard' what was meant. No two ways about it, modifying any tank equals custom.

Oh and I didn't feel the need cluttering up the other thread ;)