PDA

View Full Version : Loud Overflow

Werbo
04-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I am finding it extremely challanging to get the overflow quiet. I have a 5X5 inch overflow with a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead that is connected to a 2 inch pipe that goes out the centre of the back wall of the tank through a 2 inch bulkhead. On the outside of the tank I have a T. One end of the T goes up above the water line and is capped with a small hole to let in air.
The other end of the T goes down through a 2 inch ball valve before going to the sump through 2 inch pvc pipe. My return pump is approximately 750gpm going through 1 inch spaflex to a simple u-shaped return to the tank.
If the ball valve is left wide open the overflow is constantly empty and sounds like a bathtub draining the last 1 inch of water before it is empty. It is very loud.
I have tried adjusting the ball valve to find a happy medium but it seems impossible as the tank will become quiet as the overflow fills but then the dispaly tank will slowly begin to overflow the top and flood the house. For days I have fiddled and feel it is only a matter of time before I flood my house.
Extremly frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.
ps. There is no room in the 5X5 overflow to fit a mini durso. Already tried that.

Aquattro
04-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Tyler, post a pic of the inside of your overflow box. If it's open to air, there's your noise.

Werbo
04-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Sorry but the camera is being repaired as it was dropped recently...

sphelps
04-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Do you have room to at least put a 90 (facing down) on the open end of the tee in the overflow?

Werbo
04-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Ya that's what I tried when I said mini-durso. I tried it with 1 inch pipe and need another 3/4 inch to make it work.
Should I try 3/4 inch pipe? Would that work?

golf nut
04-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Does the pipe draining from the overflow go under the surface of the water in the sump?

Werbo
04-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Yes. It goes about 3.5 to 4 inches under the surface of the water in the sump.

mark
04-15-2009, 02:31 AM
few other overflow types to try with a single standpipe other than the Durso. Look up Stockman and Hoffer gurgle buster

golf nut
04-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes. It goes about 3.5 to 4 inches under the surface of the water in the sump.

Is there a simple way for you to get it above the water to do an easy test?

Werbo
04-15-2009, 03:57 AM
If my overflow is 5X5 inches with a depth of 3 inches is there enough room to do a Stockman?

pterfloth
04-15-2009, 04:34 AM
Is the level in the overflow cycling up and down? If it is, the air hole may be too small. Mine plugged with salt a while ago and it was cycling and gurgling again. When I cleared the air hole, the gurgling disappeared.

I have installed a 90 facing downwards in my similarly sized overflow, fully submerged and the overflow is completely silent. Sounds like we have a similar setup.

Good luck, my tank is in my bedroom and has to be quiet.

Aquattro
04-15-2009, 05:19 AM
fine, I'll come over and have a look :)

e46er
04-16-2009, 01:10 AM
My return pump is approximately 750gpm going through 1 inch spaflex to a simple u-shaped return to the tank.

thats your problem right there 750 gal per minute is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all joking aside check your air outlet that is a noise maker and also maybe post a pic of how the water enters your sump i found that putting a fitting on the pipe JUST before it enters the sump so its skimming across the top helped with the noise so it wasnt falling 4 feet straight into water

msobon
04-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Since no one has mentioned it, is it possible to add another bulkhead in the overflow? Basically have one that is completely submerged underwater regulated by a ball valve so you get pretty much 99% of the water. The second which would be your existing durso (stand pipe etc) would only get approx 1% of the water (the excess from the submerged one) this would reduce the water to air mixture significantly making your overflow completely silent and allowing for tuning to desired flow as well safety of having the second overflow in case the main(submerged one) would get clogged etc.

I have this running on my system in my bedroom with two 1.5" pipes one submerged the other a durso, my water flow is virtually silent @ approx 1200 GPH, only thing you hear is the buzz from my calcium reactor pump.