PDA

View Full Version : ohh Nooo. too big of a pump???

trouble
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
was just reading a thread about a guy that bought a really big pump for his 72 gallon. well i have a 72g running on an fx-5(jack ass guy at lfs) and am slowly organizing info and parts to switch over to a sump. recently purchased a 33g sump(thank you very much finn-a-gin), and ordered a supreme mag drive 1200 which will put out between 8-900 gph at about 6'. Now having read that thread am worried i have over done the amount of return flow thus spending more money than i had too. especially considering i am running 2 koralite #3's(850 gph apiece).Any thoughts.

well we're at it was planning a 2" drain with a 1 1/4" return, is that going to be sufficient. And can some one direct me to some info on the kirby style overflow? please:wink: thank you

TheRealBigAL
04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
I run a Mag 12 (1200gph)from my 25 gallon sump to the 50 gallon display. I have no problems, with to much flow. I belive you will be fine :smile:

trouble
04-14-2009, 08:26 AM
thank you that eases my mind a little what size are your drain and return holes? if you don't mind me asking..:question:

Steve-O-
04-14-2009, 09:19 AM
when you do you plumbing for your sump put a valve on the line to the tank. Doing this will help you control how much flow you can have i know in my old 75g i did this i have a 1200 mag as well. its better to have more then less i think because you never k now when you need more flow or less flow. I did a split as well i had a small flow going into my fuge with a trickle into my tank and rest of flow into my tank.

I also had 2in drain and 1 1/4 return worked good

Dolf
04-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I am not a huge fan of RC; so this may kill me... http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php
Is a calculator that you can use to figure out roughly what the pipe diameter of your overflow will handle (and from the other figures that I have, they are fairly conservative in the estimation.) In your case it says that your overflow will handle 2200 GPH. You need to plumb for what the pump will return rather than the size of the pipe used to return the water... So yes, your overflow will easily handle it.

Now, as to weather it is overkill... what are you planning on keeping? If clams, then yes- it may be too much flow in your tank as they come from calm areas. If it is SPS, then you are good to go (heck, add another power head if you want. Have you ever seen the volume of water that flows over a reef?)

Good luck.

sphelps
04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
You'll be fine it's a Mag 1200 not a 1/3hp pump. The closest thing to that pump that I have installed would probably be the Sequence Reeflo Barracuda (only has 1/4HP motor). I've installed this pump a few times, most recently on a 200 gallon tank located 20 vertical and 20 feet horizontal from the pump. The tank runs a 2" drain to capacity and I still can't open the pump all the way. The next pump up is the Hammerhead which does use a 1/3HP motor and is significantly more powerful than the Barracuda pushing close to 6000gph and even requires a minimum static head of 15 feet.

The Mag 1200 is a little big IMO for you and you'll likely have to turn it down a little but it's not ridiculous.

Canuckgod420
04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Well regardless of what pump I'm planning on using....have you considered what kind of heat a mag 1200 will add to your water?

I have the mag 950(piece of crap by the way) too much draw, not enough flow, and to top it off it adds 3 degrees to my water(yup tested it). At night my tanks with my 2 heaters runs at a nice 78....turned off the pump overnight the tank dropped to 75.2.

Do you have the ability to make it an external pump? Much less heat added to your water.

reefy
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I am running a mag drive 1800 from my 90g but then is split into three outlet (display,refugium and 29G biocube) so its hard to tell:neutral: but its always depends on what you are keeping or planning to keep....

sphelps
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Well regardless of what pump I'm planning on using....have you considered what kind of heat a mag 1200 will add to your water?

I have the mag 950(piece of crap by the way) too much draw, not enough flow, and to top it off it adds 3 degrees to my water(yup tested it). At night my tanks with my 2 heaters runs at a nice 78....turned off the pump overnight the tank dropped to 75.2.

Do you have the ability to make it an external pump? Much less heat added to your water.
Hilarious how contradicting one can be, this is thread about flow not heat. Remember you're suppose to stay on topic not point out other potential problems.

Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

my2rotties
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I have ball valves on every single piece of equipment on my tank. I can turn things up or down if I feel the need to do so...

Canuckgod420
04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Hilarious how contradicting one can be, this is thread about flow not heat. Remember you're suppose to stay on topic not point out other potential problems.

Difference here is I'm not gonna cram my opinion down his throat, and then call him a jerk if he doesnt agree with me.

Sorry couldnt resist....lol

Canuckgod420
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
As far as I know this is a place to share opinions, if he were to pipe up and say that he is not concerned about the heat then that would be the end of it from me.....how many responses to my thread did you make to try and prove me wrong? Prove me wrong on a question I had not even posed.

I got my herbie answer from you and that helped, your calculations for head pressure also helped. Those were my questions. Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread.

sphelps
04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
If someone were to pipe up with attitude stating there's no way a mag1200 could produce exist heat I'm sure you might say something. Nothing wrong with defending that opinion.

Sometimes people need a little push in the right direction and some never like to admit they might have made a mistake. Sorry but all the information I posted was meant to benefit you and others on this forum, if you got attitude from it it's the way you read it not the way it was written. I gave you all the answers you wanted and more not sure why you hold such a grudge towards someone just trying to help out.

Also my apologies for the hi-jack

untamed
04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
It is Herbie overflow you are asking about...not Kirby. That might help you if you do any googling for info.

I don't have time to go into an extensive explanation, but the one key thing about this kind of overflow that you need to plan for is the need to have TWO drain holes. One is the drain that all the water flows down...the other is backup incase anything ever blocks the flow down the first drain. The need for the emergency backup drain is the key design element that prevents most everyone from using this method.

sphelps
04-14-2009, 06:46 PM
haha thread overlap! :biggrin:

Canuckgod420
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey sphelps:

You obviously arent reading everything I wrote....I said your herbie answer, and the head calculation helped....read back a little.....my hostility towards you didnt occur until you called me a jerk. I asked about a herbie....why dont you express your opinion on powerhead placement, what color corals I should keep, how about how many fish I have.

Untamed:
If you where talking to me about the herbie....yes I have the 2 holes in the bottom of my tank, I do believe 1 hole is smaller than the other(tanks been up 4 years, hard to remember) so I do have the emergency drain as well.

Again sorry about the hijack.

sphelps
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
For the record I said "if you want to be a jerk" it was your decision not mine.

trouble
04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
yes herbie, thats it thank you, yes it seems after some new research i don't think im going to go that route, i am planning however to have a refuge in my sump and a 20g tank off the side that i will find a way to pipe every thing in together in the future. i had already planned on having ball valves on everything if for no other reason than to shut everything in if necessary had never thought to use them as a choke thank you. i have already had problems keeping the heat down so will have to find a way to counter affect that if it becomes more of a problem. as far as what live stock i was planning i was interested in clams but based on info stating that they like a calmer atmosphere will be steering away from them based on the fact that i already have some softies that like the flow. speaking of not sure on the proper edeqite have a few questions regarding some live stock in my tank do i carry on here or post a new thread

sphelps
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
your call but you'll probably get better results on a new thread.

JDigital
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
If someone were to pipe up with attitude stating there's no way a mag1200 could produce exist heat I'm sure you might say something. Nothing wrong with defending that opinion.

Sometimes people need a little push in the right direction and some never like to admit they might have made a mistake. Sorry but all the information I posted was meant to benefit you and others on this forum, if you got attitude from it it's the way you read it not the way it was written. I gave you all the answers you wanted and more not sure why you hold such a grudge towards someone just trying to help out.

Also my apologies for the hi-jack

Hey sphelps:

You obviously arent reading everything I wrote....I said your herbie answer, and the head calculation helped....read back a little.....my hostility towards you didnt occur until you called me a jerk. I asked about a herbie....why dont you express your opinion on powerhead placement, what color corals I should keep, how about how many fish I have.

Untamed:
If you where talking to me about the herbie....yes I have the 2 holes in the bottom of my tank, I do believe 1 hole is smaller than the other(tanks been up 4 years, hard to remember) so I do have the emergency drain as well.

Again sorry about the hijack.

For the record I said "if you want to be a jerk" it was your decision not mine.

Take it to PM guys... My god!!

Pazil
04-15-2009, 02:23 AM
LMAO:lol::lol: