PDA

View Full Version : Easy Toadstool fragging

ReefOcean
04-14-2009, 07:10 AM
http://reefkeepingfever.com/images/toadstool-leather.jpg

Just thought I share this easy as heck was to frag toadstools without cutting the caps into a million pieces, hoping they will survive and trying to connect them to rock with little success. (most sites recommend this method)

I came across this by accident, when one of my toadstools, similar to the one in the picture located above was accidentally ripped away from a rock part of it's stock was attached to.
Although I tried to remove most of the pieces thinking they would decompose, I must have missed a few that were still attached and they grew new heads, dozens.

I took one of my larger main colony specimens and stretched the stock down a piece of rock and connected in with fishing twine. In about a week, the entire stock was gripping the rock and there was still about 3 inches of stock stretching upward, detached from the rock. This meant that the main colony would still survive and be able to produce many more frags in the month to come.

I took a razor, and hacked of chunks of the stock, leaving the white meat inside exposed. Within a month, parts of the affected stock receded and many more heads began to form. I basically had about 40 small heads altogether.

For my next test, I will be placing many small rocks under the stock so when the new heads form, I can easily remove the frags pre-assembled for me.
Give it a try, it is very easy.

Happy reefing.