PDA

View Full Version : Sump Tank Builders - Calgary

slough shark
04-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Anyone know of anyone who builds tanks in Calgary? Need to get a sump tank built but don't have the energy to deal with mitch at Bow Valley again.
Any help would be much appreciated.

my2rotties
04-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Colby at Elite has a really good guy... I don't know how busy there are though but they are easy to deal with.

Anyone know of anyone who builds tanks in Calgary? Need to get a sump tank built but don't have the energy to deal with mitch at Bow Valley again.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Trigger Man
04-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Red coral and Golds also have guys that can do it for you as well.

karazy
04-14-2009, 03:04 AM
Colby at Elite has a really good guy... I don't know how busy there are though but they are easy to deal with.

We have an amazing custom tank builder, who works at a glass shop so he can get some pretty cool effects and cuts with the glass.

i got my sump built there and it was made on time and very good quality

fishytime
04-14-2009, 03:35 PM
+1 on RC:mrgreen:

TVR
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Red coral and Golds also have guys that can do it for you as well.

Yes. RC but not G
Guess who builds tanks for G :wink:

slough shark
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
You?

TVR
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
Only can wish... ehehhe... But Nah... :redface:

Zylumn
04-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Bow Valley

TVR
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
So, slough shark, if you dont like BV then why should you go to place that their tanks are from BV as well ? - :lol:

parkinsn
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes. RC but not G

Im pretty sure that Golds does not use Bow Valley, they guy he uses is named Gray i think. I have talked to a couple of people that used RC and they were very happy.

lastlight
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Golds uses Mitch and Gary.

Mitch has been draggin his butt on a pair of 33 gallon drilled tanks for weeks now. He had the first batch done fairly on-time but put my 1" holes in the wrong sides of the tanks. Oh and the 1" holes were 1.5"! I've been told I'll have my tanks by Friday or Gary gets to build them lol. Pretty frustrating as I went to Golds to avoid BVA. Colby's guy can do some really neat things with cutouts, ground edges etc and his work is cleaner than anyone elses in my opinion.

TVR
04-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Wish I was wrong.

my2rotties
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
My 90g acclimation tank is from Colby's guy... it is one of the first tanks he ever built and it is very well put together. Excellent quality and it looks fantastic. Black silicone which is something I wish we had done with our display.

slough shark
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
What if a guy decided to make his own? Is there a special type of silicone that should be used? Could get the glass cut and stick her together myself. Is this tougher than I think it is?

Binare
04-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Dennis over at golds told me he uses mitch for the smaller stuff and gary for the bigger. Took mitch 3 weeks to build me a 12 gallon tank, he drilled 3 1/2" instead of 3/4" then tried to blame me for it. Who in there right mind would want 1/2 overflow?! Then to top it off, it was scratched to hell and made of the finest scrap (read crap) green glass he had liein around. Next time ill be goin to RC or to see Colby that's for sure.

slough shark
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I actually was driving down Barlow the other day and BV was being gutted. All the signs were gone and it was being cleaned out.
Wonder whats going on?

Maybe that Alligator thing got loose and ate someone.......

michika
04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
What if a guy decided to make his own? Is there a special type of silicone that should be used? Could get the glass cut and stick her together myself. Is this tougher than I think it is?

You have a couple of options on what brand you use. However, what you want is something that DOES NOT have fungicide in it. I've used GE Construction (in a purple tube), as well as GE Silicone II Windows and Doors in all our builds (I believe it has a silver label). If you want photos of the actual containers they're in the first couple pages of my 180g build thread under the Tank Journal section.

If you are going to build your own sump its quite simple, just make sure you tape everything, and have good ventilation. Clean the glass before hand with newspaper and vinegar to avoid any particles getting caught between your glass panes and the silicone.

If you want help or details let me know. Kevin and I have built quite a few tanks to date and have it down to an art.

michika
04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I actually was driving down Barlow the other day and BV was being gutted. All the signs were gone and it was being cleaned out.
Wonder whats going on?

Maybe that Alligator thing got loose and ate someone.......

Seriously? Crap...he was building my 12ft tank...oh well I didn't put any cash down, so I'm not out anything, but it still sucks.

Binare
04-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Bv just moved, I got mitches cell somewhere if you need it. Starting moving about 2 months ago to a bigger shop in foothills industrial

Rahim101
04-18-2009, 04:44 AM
new shop on Bow valley Aquariums is at 15 Wrangler place SE
Just off of 61 st Avenue and 84 Street SE
Number: (403) 272-4960

With Mitch, the key is to NOT pay him up front.
He'll get the job done better and faster id has money coming to him at the end of the job.

Coleus
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
i guess i will visit RC for my sump
________
Make A Vaporizer (http://howtomakeavaporizer.info/)

bulletsworld
08-15-2009, 11:23 PM
I just got my custom 90gal sump built by Gold's, I think it was indeed Gary that built mine, along with my 230 gal starfire glass tank. The sump was a last minute idea, cause I was originally going to try and build my own, then thought screw it. The sump was done in three days and only cost me $150.00. I will post pictures of the sump on my Tank Build Thread soon.

Overall I was happy with Gold's tank builder. The only thing I was disapointed in was, their was two marks of silicone on the starfire glass for me to remove AND I was really surprised that the tank wasn't wrapped up somehow when I went to pickup. After all, its starfire glass and it scratches easy. :sad: Other wise, I'm happy with the price, quality of glass, fast customer service and short time it took to build.

Hope that helps.