PDA

View Full Version : LFS reviews? Which is the best?

ziah
06-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Still a newbie and getting to know some of the LFS's. I know some people prefer to get dry goods and livestock online, but I think it would be a good idea to know the local alternatives.

Which places give good/bad advice...have good/bad prices on dry good and livestock? Some places claim to have the lowest prices, but in actuality they don't.

AJ_77
06-23-2003, 02:26 AM
There was some concern awhile back, that we weren't allowed to "bash" an LFS we were unimpressed with. I think we are able to tell of our impressions of the retailers, just not say things like "Big Ed's sucks" for example.

With that in mind, I will say that I have been to Gold's Aquariums once, and saw nice corals (LPS mainly) at the best prices I've seen in Calgary. Came home with 3.
:biggrin:
I am not impressed with Big Al's from my limited dealings with them, and I will avoid that store for the most part. The animals are not of the apparent quality I look for, and their prices seem high to me.
I am not impressed with Pisces from my dealings with them, and will avoid that store for the most part. Their livestock appears for the most part on the verge, and the prices seem high to me.
I am not impressed with Wai's from my years of dealings with them, and I will avoid that store for the most part. I have bought more than a few fish from Wai's over years, and have learned to be exceedingly careful when picking any animal from there, as the tanks seem to have as many sick and dying fish as healthy-looking. The prices are way out of my range for the most part.
I am marginally impressed with Ocean Aquarium from my limited dealings there, but I will avoid that store for the most part. They do however have some reasonable prices on occasion, and some interesting corals.
I have had excellent success in my limited dealings with J&L Aquatics and Saltwater Connection for mail orders. Their livestock seems to be of the high quality I expect, and their prices are reasonable.

These are my opinions only, based on my impressions of the various stores - hardly enough to make a fair judgment. Take them with a grain of salt. And beware... :lol:

EmilyB
06-23-2003, 03:31 AM
:eek: :smile: :cool: :mrgreen:

Pretty much ditto on that.

kari
06-23-2003, 03:49 AM
I will dito AJ with the exception that I find the Wai guy very knowledgable yet a little squeeky with the info. Yet he has some very nice sps which I cannot afford. Pieces, I haven't purchaced any corals with my opinion on how care should be taken will holding stock and the price tag associated. Bang for the buck Gold's is were I shop locally. Propably due to my very limited and partially wife controlled hobby budget. Just my opinions and others may find differant.

Kari

kari
06-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Emily spells ditto better than I. I hope spelling guy isn't watching :biggrin:

EmilyB
06-23-2003, 05:04 AM
I kinda wondered why you bolded that....... :razz: :lol:

EmilyB
06-23-2003, 05:08 AM
The Wai guy, btw, has some people to thank for that knowledge, since a year ago he didn't know what a nassarius snail was.

You guys have done a good job. :mrgreen:

ziah
06-23-2003, 06:05 AM
I went to Big Al's to look at prices on a particular pump. After shopping around, locally and online, I found that Big Al's prices were absurdly high. I'd understand if the prices were close, but this was not the case.

When I went back to Big Al's to ask if they would "price match" or beat, they just ended up saying something like:

"You may pay more here but that's because we'll take care of you if anything goes wrong."

Wow...never shopping there again.

Hope my story doesn't constitute "bashing".

Shmoo
06-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Big Al's will price match,but you have to push them to do it.I e-mailed their head office to get what I was after.
I have not purchased live stock from J&L or SWC,but have had fantastic service and support with their dry goods

Seriak
06-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Careful of Big Al's service. I bought a pump from them when I first started and it died shortly after (the ceramic rod busted in half and sand got into to the unit somehow. I went in to ask them about it and they said it was my fault that the sand got in there and the warranty was void. I will only buy dry goods from J&L aquatics now. Sometimes Saltwater Connection.

TANGOMAN
06-23-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm still looking... :confused: , though I've never been to Big Ed's. I avoid Alan for the most part :lol: . There's no protocol on bashing other members is there ?
Is that Wai guy or Wise Guy ?

AJ_77
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
I avoid Alan for the most part :lol: .
:biggrin: :lol: :lol:
Doug, you kill me...

You know, what we really need is a local mail-order type of place, one we could trust and support.

Another pipe dream...

Tau2301
06-24-2003, 12:30 AM
There was a place called "Tails & Scales" that could fit into the wholsesale mail order role that you are talking about.

TANGOMAN
06-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Alan, careful what ya' wish for... :wink:

AJ_77
06-24-2003, 07:30 PM
There was a place called "Tails & Scales" that could fit into the wholsesale mail order role that you are talking about.

Kim: "was" a place?? Are they done?

If so, the need becomes even more apparent...

Canadian Man
06-28-2003, 08:22 PM
There was some concern awhile back, that we weren't allowed to "bash" an LFS we were unimpressed with. I think we are able to tell of our impressions of the retailers, just not say things like "Big Ed's sucks" for example.

With that in mind, I will say that I have been to Gold's Aquariums once, and saw nice corals (LPS mainly) at the best prices I've seen in Calgary. Came home with 3.
I am not impressed with Big Al's from my limited dealings with them, and I will avoid that store for the most part. The animals are not of the apparent quality I look for, and their prices seem high to me.
I am not impressed with Pisces from my dealings with them, and will avoid that store for the most part. Their livestock appears for the most part on the verge, and the prices seem high to me.
I am not impressed with Wai's from my years of dealings with them, and I will avoid that store for the most part. I have bought more than a few fish from Wai's over years, and have learned to be exceedingly careful when picking any animal from there, as the tanks seem to have as many sick and dying fish as healthy-looking. The prices are way out of my range for the most part.
I am marginally impressed with Ocean Aquarium from my limited dealings there, but I will avoid that store for the most part. They do however have some reasonable prices on occasion, and some interesting corals.
I have had excellent success in my limited dealings with J&L Aquatics and Saltwater Connection for mail orders. Their livestock seems to be of the high quality I expect, and their prices are reasonable.

These are my opinions only, based on my impressions of the various stores - hardly enough to make a fair judgment. Take them with a grain of salt. And beware... :lol:

very well and reasonably put alan!

ziah
07-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Ok, new story. Not going to name any names.

I went to one of the LFS's today with my wife to pick up a test kit. I've met the owner before and he's been really helpful everytime I've been in (largely due to the fact that I was the only one in the store each time).

My wife liked the purple nudi's he just got in stock. I had no clue what these slugs were (until I got home and did some research). Basically, he told me that they eat algae and they act just like any other snail, just that they had no shells. He told me they need no special attention and will out live most of my snails.

What a bunch of crock! I quickly went home and did some posting and research. Well....you guys know the rest. Can not find even 1 decent and honest LFS! And I'm usually called the impartial one!

impreza
07-01-2003, 08:46 AM
i went there today too, i saw those purple slugs....
look very cool! so i guess they arent very easy to care for?

AJ_77
07-01-2003, 04:23 PM
i went there today too, i saw those purple slugs....
look very cool! so i guess they arent very easy to care for?
Saw those slugs there as well - very attractive, but as a warning to stay away. :wink: One other animal we shouldn't see in stores...

Not very easy to care for, no - Lots of tricky issues... Check out:
http://www.seaslugforum.net

Perodogo
07-08-2003, 11:40 PM
:biggrin: Hi there! Just found out about this site by accident. I'm not new to the hobby but just the same, I'm glad to come across a local bull board. I do not have a reef aquarium for the main reason that I love big, showy angels. Anyway, I thought I'd share my opinions on our LFS:

1. Wai's: I still shop here but his prices tend to be on the high side. He does have a lot of selection but it is usually hit and miss when it comes to success in keeping them alive for a long period of time. I always haggle with the owner (Daniel) and I usually end up getting $20 - $30 off his prices with no GST, so some of them can be good deals;
2. Pisces: Not really impressed with their stock and their dry goods appear to be over priced; I have not purchased any livestock from them in the 20 years I've kept marine fish;
3. Ocean's: I have not bought anything here, but the odd times I've been to this place, their animals appear stressed and diseased for most part;
4. Gold: Great prices on livestock - if you're lucky enough to be there on a Friday morning to get first dibs on his fish. I have had not much luck with my last acquisitions from this place - I'm starting to fear that some of his stock may have been caught with cyanide (JMHO). I think that for most part, stress has a lot to do with it. His stocks arrive Thursday and by Friday AM, most of them are gone --- not much time for the fish to get acclimated to his tanks, and they get stuffed in plastic bags again to get into the hobbyists' tanks in less than 24 hours. His dry goods are reasonably priced. I continue to buy stuff from this store;
5. Big Al's: I bought my 500 gallon system from this store and got a great deal (including a very sturdy stand and 90-gal sump). Some of the things I acquired from them have been matched using J&L's prices. However, I have stopped shopping at this store for 4 months now since I believe that I know more than they do and I have gotten some poor advice from them in the past. I get the feeling that they will sell you whatever fish you want even if it means the species you want to purchase are incompatible with your current stock. Most of their prices seem overpriced.
6. Animal House: This place used to carry a good selection of marine livestock, but it has gotten down hill. Now their tanks are empty - populated only by mollies.
7. Tails and Scales: This used to be a home-based operation and I have gotten to know the owners --- very nice couple. I got some great deals on livestock from them in the past, but they have essentially stopped operation for the time being;
8. Riverfront: I don't have much of an opinion on this store. Prices seem overpriced, even with the 20% discount you get if you buy their membership card;
9. J&L (Vancouver area): Great internet shop. I have been impressed with their livestock and the way they ship them. All animals I have purchased from them have arrived in good health and eating. Prices are great if you can maximize your order (i.e. multiple orders on fish to save on shipping cost). I would definitely buy from them again.
10. Saltwater Fantasies (Edmonton): Good prices on fish, but can not recommend the place. Most of his livestock are brought in from the Philippines and Indonesia --- 2 countries notorious for their cyanide method of collecting fish. I bought an adult Emperor Angel -- in apparent good health, but died in my QT the next day after having eaten for the first time. It may be coincidence and it's just my opinion.

Sorry for the long post.

Bob I
07-09-2003, 12:38 AM
:biggrin: Hi there! Just found out about this site by accident. I'm not new to the hobby but just the same, I'm glad to come across a local bull board. I do not have a reef aquarium for the main reason that I love big, showy angels. Anyway, I thought I'd share my opinions on our LFS:

1. Wai's: I still shop here but his prices tend to be on the high side. He does have a lot of selection but it is usually hit and miss when it comes to success in keeping them alive for a long period of time. I always haggle with the owner (Daniel) and I usually end up getting $20 - $30 off his prices with no GST, so some of them can be good deals;
2. Pisces: Not really impressed with their stock and their dry goods appear to be over priced; I have not purchased any livestock from them in the 20 years I've kept marine fish;
3. Ocean's: I have not bought anything here, but the odd times I've been to this place, their animals appear stressed and diseased for most part;
4. Gold: Great prices on livestock - if you're lucky enough to be there on a Friday morning to get first dibs on his fish. I have had not much luck with my last acquisitions from this place - I'm starting to fear that some of his stock may have been caught with cyanide (JMHO). I think that for most part, stress has a lot to do with it. His stocks arrive Thursday and by Friday AM, most of them are gone --- not much time for the fish to get acclimated to his tanks, and they get stuffed in plastic bags again to get into the hobbyists' tanks in less than 24 hours. His dry goods are reasonably priced. I continue to buy stuff from this store;
5. Big Al's: I bought my 500 gallon system from this store and got a great deal (including a very sturdy stand and 90-gal sump). Some of the things I acquired from them have been matched using J&L's prices. However, I have stopped shopping at this store for 4 months now since I believe that I know more than they do and I have gotten some poor advice from them in the past. I get the feeling that they will sell you whatever fish you want even if it means the species you want to purchase are incompatible with your current stock. Most of their prices seem overpriced.
6. Animal House: This place used to carry a good selection of marine livestock, but it has gotten down hill. Now their tanks are empty - populated only by mollies.
7. Tails and Scales: This used to be a home-based operation and I have gotten to know the owners --- very nice couple. I got some great deals on livestock from them in the past, but they have essentially stopped operation for the time being;
8. Riverfront: I don't have much of an opinion on this store. Prices seem overpriced, even with the 20% discount you get if you buy their membership card;
9. J&L (Vancouver area): Great internet shop. I have been impressed with their livestock and the way they ship them. All animals I have purchased from them have arrived in good health and eating. Prices are great if you can maximize your order (i.e. multiple orders on fish to save on shipping cost). I would definitely buy from them again.
10. Saltwater Fantasies (Edmonton): Good prices on fish, but can not recommend the place. Most of his livestock are brought in from the Philippines and Indonesia --- 2 countries notorious for their cyanide method of collecting fish. I bought an adult Emperor Angel -- in apparent good health, but died in my QT the next day after having eaten for the first time. It may be coincidence and it's just my opinion.

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the board, and I would have trouble disagreeing with anything you have said. :eek:

Quinn
07-09-2003, 01:18 AM

I liked the way Bev described Saltwater Fantasies. Unfortunately I risk getting in trouble if I reiterate what she said, but it was accurate and not particularly complementary. I'm not sure how I feel about basement operations. It reminds me of some place a nasty disease would rear its head (am I allowed to say that?).

Delphinus
07-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the board, Perodogo!