PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for first time Anemone Owner?

paddyob
04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
I just got my first anemone. i was told it is a bubble tip but has long tentacles and no bubble tips. it is a really nice green color and was a good deal here thru this forum. it is in a 20 Gallon nano with 130 Watt compacts. wondering if anyone has pointers to help raise is successfully?

Pescador
04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
The more you feed it the more it will split, I started with one and now have 9.:biggrin:
I quit spot feeding long ago.

mark
04-13-2009, 11:04 PM
don't put anything in the tank you don't want the anemone to move across and sting plus cover your intakes if you have power heads or a closed loop.

J.Lloy
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
The bubble tips tentacles lenght and colors will vary with different light and i'm sure other small factors.

whatcaneyedo
04-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Plan on it growing to at least 12" in diameter and taking up half your tank.

paddyob
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
don't put anything in the tank you don't want the anemone to move across and sting plus cover your intakes if you have power heads or a closed loop.

Whats a closed loop?

dsaundry
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Pretty much like this...from another web site.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/anotherbikerboy/BasicSumpRefrug.jpg

reef bound
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
The more you feed it the more it will split, I started with one and now have 9.:biggrin:
I quit spot feeding long ago.
Just curious, but when they split do the clones have bubble tips if the original no longer has them?

paddyob
05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
do the clones have bubble tips if the original no longer has them?

Mine has not shown bubbles yet. i understand this is normal in some tanks and many factors come into play. this is my first one. i am glad it is only max 3" When fully open. gives me room to let it roam. i have what could be considered high flow for a 20 Gallon and thought that was important... but mine seems to move away from the high flow areas. anyone able to shed some light here?

TVR
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I have 1 in my tank now bought frm a Canreef Memeber. I put it on an island rock and it stayed there since. Start seeing some bbl tip but doesn't looklike fully extended just yet. I feed him frzn thing, but curriously what food is best for him - anyone?
Thanks

Pescador
05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Mine rarely have bubble tips and the clones are the same. They do seem to shy away from too strong of a current, you can sometimes get them to move by aiming a powerhead at them.
You can feed them silversides.(a small frozen fish at your LFS)

paddyob
05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Ok. again. first nem. i just went to look at my tank and my nem was spewing white smoke like stuff. is this just waste being ejected or is there an issue. once it started, one of my mexican snails Started doing the same thing and it clouded my tank. it is 20 Gallon so i did a quick water change in panick. advice or knowledge requested please.

whatcaneyedo
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Sounds like its spawning. If its only white smoke stuff and there are no small round objects its a male, round objects (perhaps yellowish in color) means female. I've had my female sebae anemone spawn a few times in the past in my 270gal system with no adverse effects. You should do some big water changes though as I've heard about anemones nuking smaller tanks this way.

paddyob
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Sounds like its spawning. If its only white smoke stuff and there are no small round objects its a male, round objects (perhaps yellowish in color) means female. I've had my female sebae anemone spawn a few times in the past in my 270gal system with no adverse effects. You should do some big water changes though as I've heard about anemones nuking smaller tanks this way.

So they spawn as well as split asexually?

RCFA
05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
So they spawn as well as split asexually?

yes. lots of ways to get the job done. :biggrin:

paddyob
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
So even with just one small nem it will try spawn. is filtration enough to remove this or could it really kill my tank as i sleep?

whatcaneyedo
05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
In this Reefkeeping.com Tank of the Month an anemone spawning event nuked the guys 65gal http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Keep an eye on your livestock and perameters and do some more water changes to be safe.

paddyob
05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Tested all possible factors today and no visible pollutants. did about 4 Gallon water change. ill be watching. thanks everyone.

bignose
05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Tell it smoking is bad for it's health:lol: